Trouble running EightyOne

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Creator

Trouble running EightyOne

Post by Creator »

Win 10 64 machine

Old version 1.0A loads and runs but neither the latest version (V1.31) or 1 year ago versions will run once loaded. Cick on eightyOne.exe the keyboard image appears on screen and goes thru it initialization process until 'initializing Midi' then a popup with 'EAccess violation' appears. Are there drivers I need to load before ? Other ideas ?
Paul

Re: Trouble running EightyOne

Post by Paul »

Delete EightyOne.ini?
It runs perfectly on my win10x64 in any version.
Maybe the ini files you have is disturbing.
It will be created when changing options in EO.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Creator

Post by Creator »

I don't find EightyOne.ini anywhere on my system.
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

its in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\EightyOne.
Last edited by Spinnetti on Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
Creator

Post by Creator »

Yes, it is there ! I used Win10 search and it came back empty. I never liked this new version of windows search, the XP one was much better.

So I deleted it and ran EightyOne but same issue.
Creator

Post by Creator »

OK so the new versions don't wanna work for me. I'll try proceeding with version 1.0a. Is drag and drop also the way to load a .o file in this version ?
Creator

Post by Creator »

Still having troubles. Is there a manual / some instructions on using this ? I'm finding many thing not intuative.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Creator wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:03 pm Is there a manual / some instructions on using this ?
:lol:

Sadly, no... :cry:

Creator wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:03 pm Still having troubles.
You could try v1.25. I've seen an 'EAccess violation' appear at startup if the DirectSound creation call fails due to no sound card being present/enabled. A change was made in v1.26 to significantly improve the accuracy of the AY sound output (which was great), but also resulted in the emulation timing being driven by the sound code (yeah I know, don't ask). So you might find the previous version runs ok for you. However, you'll miss out on all of improvements made since then. So it would be best to get to the bottom of why the latest version is crashing on your system. Presumably your system has a sound card, and it is enabled and working?
Creator

Post by Creator »

No sound card. Seems like an odd requirement for an emulator. Any chance of me generating enough of a dummy sound card to get the emulator to function with out it or is it deeply integrated. Alternately, source for a sound card ?
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

I've just released EightyOne v1.33. It includes a check on the return value from the DirectSound API call that I had seen failing and, rather than just ignoring it, it now displays an error message box with the error code. It will be interesting to know if you obtain this error message or whether EO still crashes, hence indicating whether or not this really is the cause of the problem you encountered.