Trouble running EightyOne

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Creator

Re: Trouble running EightyOne

Post by Creator »

Downloaded, extracted & run the exe. At ' Initializing Machine Emulation' with the progress bar fully green I get a popup :
Eightyone unable to run directSound creation failed error DSERR_NODRIVER. No sound driver is available for use, or the given GUID is not a valid DirectSound device ID.

Despite what I said earlier, I must have some sound card, I listen to youtube stuff on earplugs. Likely not compatible.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

What does Windows say when you go to the system information?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Creator wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:32 am Eightyone unable to run directSound creation failed error DSERR_NODRIVER. No sound driver is available for use, or the given GUID is not a valid DirectSound device ID.
So some good news in that it at least confirms the theory. Now just got to figure out what to do about it...

1024MAK wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:38 am What does Windows say when you go to the system information?
Yes and perhaps also check in Device Manager and make sure there are no warnings against the sound card entries, and maybe run dxdiag.exe to see if it reports any problems. Which version of Windows are you running EightyOne on?
Creator

Post by Creator »

Win 10
dxdiag -> No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.

Device Manager under Sound, video & game controllers shows no errors or warnings and several audio entries, all OEM on my Lenovo desktop. I've added no sound cards.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Creator wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:09 pm No sound card. Seems like an odd requirement for an emulator.
I wasn't involved in that change and can't claim to understand how that aspect all works. I suspect it would require a substantial reworking of the emulator to decouple it in a nice way.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Understood. I'm a retired SW developer, I understand that things that don't appear to make sense actually sometimes do.