SZ81 on an M1 processor Mac

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
BarryN

SZ81 on an M1 processor Mac

Post by BarryN »

Could someone with an M1 processor Mac please test this SZ81 package and let me know if it works on an M1 machine? It SHOULD work on either a 64 bit Intel Mac or an M1 Mac (I hope). I know it works on my Intel 64 bit Macs. I need someone with an M1 Mac to test it.

SZ81 for Mac
kpalser

Re: SZ81 on an M1 processor Mac

Post by kpalser »

I've tried to open both the small window and full screen versions on a Macbook Pro M1 Max running macOS Monterey 12.0.1. After I get past the usual trust unknown source warnings it crashes immediately for the full screen. I can see it try to occupy the full screen but it flashes black and crashes. The small version opens a window but does not display any activity (i.e just blank) and the top screen menu is unresponsive (i.e nothing can be selected). I looked at the file type with finder and it just says "Intel" rather than universal. Rosette is installed on my Mac and works with other non universal apps but not in this case.

I wish I had better news.
Regards,
Kevin
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

kpalser wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:00 am I've tried to open both the small window and full screen versions on a Macbook Pro M1 Max running macOS Monterey 12.0.1. After I get past the usual trust unknown source warnings it crashes immediately for the full screen. I can see it try to occupy the full screen but it flashes black and crashes. The small version opens a window but does not display any activity (i.e just blank) and the top screen menu is unresponsive (i.e nothing can be selected). I looked at the file type with finder and it just says "Intel" rather than universal. Rosette is installed on my Mac and works with other non universal apps but not in this case.

I wish I had better news.
Regards,
Kevin
And that was the binary from the link above? Darn. The actual SZ81 program is compiled for x86_64 and arm64, but the launcher apple script is x86_64 but not arm64. I do not have an M1 Mac to test on. Make sure you move the SZ81 folder in the finder to another location after downloading it. Do not run it from where it is unzipped. This is important. You could try launching the loader shell script directly.

cd /Applications/Emulation/SZ81
./SZ81.app/Contents/Resources/script
kpalser

Post by kpalser »

And that was the binary from the link above?
Yes.
Make sure you move the SZ81 folder in the finder to another location after downloading it.
Moved to desktop folder.

Could not open from a terminal when going into the content folder. The script did not run.

So used Finder to view the SZ81 contents. Tapped on the two SZ81 files and the script. They all opened terminals but only the highlighted one in the image opened the application. Still frozen in all respects but at least I could get to the about info. Activity Monitor says it is an Intel Process.
Captura de pantalla 2021-11-14 a les 11.31.21.png
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

HI,

If someone had compiled it to x86 Win64, i can upload this release in the "Windows 32" directory...

http://zx81.ordi5.free.fr/sZ81_WIN32/
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

kpalser wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:45 pm
And that was the binary from the link above?
Yes.
Make sure you move the SZ81 folder in the finder to another location after downloading it.
Moved to desktop folder.

Could not open from a terminal when going into the content folder. The script did not run.

So used Finder to view the SZ81 contents. Tapped on the two SZ81 files and the script. They all opened terminals but only the highlighted one in the image opened the application. Still frozen in all respects but at least I could get to the about info. Activity Monitor says it is an Intel Process.

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-14 a les 11.31.21.png
I have NO idea WHY that is running as an Intel process...
/Applications/Emulation/SZ81/SZ81.app/Contents/Resources/SZ81: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64] [arm64:Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64]
/Applications/Emulation/SZ81/SZ81.app/Contents/Resources/SZ81 (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
/Applications/Emulation/SZ81/SZ81.app/Contents/Resources/SZ81 (for architecture arm64): Mach-O 64-bit executable arm64

The source code is here.
I tried to build a package from a binary someone compiles for me. I do not have an M1 Mac.