EightyOne Test Build

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Moggy

Re: EightyOne Test Build

Post by Moggy »

MikeW wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:19 am
Moggy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:42 pm Understood Mike.

To be honest the only accurately sounding AY I have heard in emulation for the ZX81 is that used by SZ-81.
I don't know if there could be any pointers there insofar as how the tone of the thing is achieved.

Please understand I'm not very technically minded, baby steps and all that.
That's interesting. I've just had a look at the source for SZ81 and its AY code is derived from the same place as EO - probably just a version several years newer lol. I think it'd almost be just a case of dropping in the newer code with a few small modifications...

{EDIT)

Hmmm, I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but EO uses a 22050Hz sample rate whereas SZ81 used 32000Hz - could it be that simple...
Where square waves are concerned possibly so.

Apart from the "tone" of certain samples (drums mainly) sounding odd I did notice a certain "grittiness" generally and would agree that the sample rate would account for that at least.

Received and acknowledged PM also and will post my version of SZ-81 for comparison as well as the other things.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

@Mike

PM.
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Got your PM, thanks - that'y my homework for tonight :D

I've just compiled a 48kHz 16bit stereo build - maybe just a little overkill but it should eliminate the sample rate as a cause for issue. Thinking about it, I could let the user select all that stuff from the Sound dialog.
Moggy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:42 pm Where square waves are concerned possibly so.
This is starting to sound too much like my Uni days, Fourier transforms and the like. Was hoping I'd never have to deal with that stuff again.

Mike
REX LIES IN WAIT
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Quote.

I've just compiled a 48kHz 16bit stereo build

SPLENDID!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yes Square waves can be fun and I've learned the odd audio trick or two due to the relatively slow slew rate of said waves where the old GI chip is concerned.
Last edited by Moggy on Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SM7I

Post by SM7I »

As for me that do rs232 development I’d like the firmware to be updated please....

Moggy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:56 pm Finally got it going after colossal mix ups on my part(don't ask)

I wouldn't bother upping the ZXpand firmware to TOMTE which only beefed up some of the hardware serial comm' functions and is also used with a new unreleased version of the current MIDI player (still being worked on sporadically) and I'm not sure it would work with an emulator anyway.

As for the sound I'm pleased to say the Tracker and STC player work well enough (not tried PT3 player but cannot see a problem.)

Whilst everything is now in tune without the horrible grunts and wheezes etc and is pitched correctly for the ZX81(not tried speccy AY) The tones are not quite right in their actual sound especially drums.
Could make short example recording if pushed, but not sure of file size limit here.

This will be ok for non musicians and games players who just want to listen to something going blip blip or playing tunes in the background. For myself who has a ton of semi composed stuff via the tracker and has created samples to sound a certain way then it sounds odd so unusable but as I'm the only one using the tracker (now that Yerz is wed and out of the picture) who cares. I only mention it because you asked for an opinion on it.

Also unless my ears mistake me,the AY is in mono which I know is is emulating the real Zonx in that regard but all players and trackers are stereo in their conception and use, albeit crudely mixed stereo and most emulators now seem to follow that concept .

Other than that great work Mike and good therapy too no doubt. :D
olofsen

Post by olofsen »

sz81's version with "exploratory features" at http://rullf2.xs4all.nl/sz81/ renders sound with code from the "Unreal Speccy" project (following a recommendation by Yerzmyey; a current link is the first one in https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/view ... 958#p49958).
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

SM7I wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:51 pm As for me that do rs232 development I’d like the firmware to be updated please....

Moggy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:56 pm Finally got it going after colossal mix ups on my part(don't ask)

I wouldn't bother upping the ZXpand firmware to TOMTE which only beefed up some of the hardware serial comm' functions and is also used with a new unreleased version of the current MIDI player (still being worked on sporadically) and I'm not sure it would work with an emulator anyway.

As for the sound I'm pleased to say the Tracker and STC player work well enough (not tried PT3 player but cannot see a problem.)

Whilst everything is now in tune without the horrible grunts and wheezes etc and is pitched correctly for the ZX81(not tried speccy AY) The tones are not quite right in their actual sound especially drums.
Could make short example recording if pushed, but not sure of file size limit here.

This will be ok for non musicians and games players who just want to listen to something going blip blip or playing tunes in the background. For myself who has a ton of semi composed stuff via the tracker and has created samples to sound a certain way then it sounds odd so unusable but as I'm the only one using the tracker (now that Yerz is wed and out of the picture) who cares. I only mention it because you asked for an opinion on it.

Also unless my ears mistake me,the AY is in mono which I know is is emulating the real Zonx in that regard but all players and trackers are stereo in their conception and use, albeit crudely mixed stereo and most emulators now seem to follow that concept .

Other than that great work Mike and good therapy too no doubt. :D
Left a message with Sir Morris as to viability of TOMTE firmware upgrade and is he happy for it to be used if viable ,should have an answer soon,bearing in mind it is his I.P and it's down to him whether or not he agrees to its use in this or any or any other emulator. ;)
stevenmcdonald

Post by stevenmcdonald »

Hi there.

Nice to see you back working on EO again.

I am developing a game using EO for testing and it features AY sound, The one weakness in EO has always been the sound emulation accuracy so I am extremely excited to read this post!

I tried to download the test version but it now says in the users trash! ahh well..

What is the possibility of this sound fix making it into the official release tree on Github?

I tend to only put on the official releases as they tend to be very stable.

This sound code fix is very very interesting!!

Would love it to be included in the V1 tree as I see plans are now afoot for a V2 version...

Best Regards

Steven McDonald.
stevenmcdonald

Post by stevenmcdonald »

Hi there!

Well then.... not sure what initially went wrong but I have now managed to get the test version of EO.

WOW the sound is sooo much better now! Amazing actually - putting up with the bad sound emulation on EO for Years now kind of got me used to it.

I actually had to use a MAC emulator for the ZX81 to check out the sounds in the game I am writing - now I can use EO natively its sound is so good now!

Distortion is gone, timing is soooo much better!! ;-)

Please can we have an official release of this version as at the moment its just a stand alone EXE - I like the full package to be installed/included for easy installation.

Great work and many thanks

Steve.