Online web version ZXSimulator: a ZX81 ROM emulator

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
bwinkel67

Online web version ZXSimulator: a ZX81 ROM emulator

Post by bwinkel67 »

I got a suggestion from someone that found it to post a separate topic since it may be hard to find. So the ZXSimulator can now be used from a browser.

http://zxsimulator.orgfree.com

I modified it since I last posted this under the specific ZXSimulator topic by having the QL emulator auto-boot fully. So if you wait the ZX81 will come up (takes a bit for DOSBox and Qlay to boot). You can then start typing in programs (no keyword entry, just touch type) and see how they run. Some display stuff is slow due to DOSBox not ZXSimulator. Playing the Elite game works pretty well as the emulator runs a bit faster than a stock ZX81.

Also, I got a comment from someone in Germany that their key-mappings caused problems. Wondering what that is. Could be that the double-quote on some keyboards gives you not the straight (") but the fancy one. I've had to use shift-\ with my Mac keyboard at times. If you encounter any issues, could you please post below.

Note we are running a ROM emulator (ZXSimulator) inside of a Sinclair QL emulator (QLAY) inside of a DOS emulator (DOSBox) within the JavaScript interpreter running in your browser. Whew, that's some nesting, like the movie Inception, or as South Park put it "a taco, inside a taco, within a taco bell, inside a KFC, within a mall, inside your dream."

You can run/play the provided ZX81 programs below:
  • ball_bas - bouncing ball demo for ZXSimulator
  • bann_bas - banner demo for ZXSimulator (normally named banner_bas)
  • elit_bas - Elite game, playable but not complete (normally named elite_bas)
  • batt_bas - Battlship game (normally named battleship_bas)
  • mine_bas - Minesweeper game by Bodo Wenzel (normally named minesweeper_bas)
  • madn_bas - Mench Aergere Dich Nicht, famous German board game by Bodo Wenzel
  • drac_bas - Dragon fractal by Bodo Wenzel (normally named drachen_bas)

Once I find or type in more, I will add them. I just got Klingons form the Jty One Games10 list to work. It required a mod since I don't yet support pokes and peeks for screen info.