New release of EightyOne available

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
Fruitcake

Re: New release of EightyOne available

Post by Fruitcake »

Hi Marc

I've just sent a PM to you about Flight Simulation.

MarcNL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:08 pm Hitting the nail on the head, sir!
I understand now.

MarcNL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:08 pm Not only Sinclair Egypt (actually the Matisco Trading & Inv. Co. of Cairo) but also Beckman in Sweden used this technique. The switch looks nicer though, it can be reached from the edge connector hole.
Oh, ok. So switch from standard English 48K BASIC to Swedish 48K BASIC?

MarcNL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:08 pm Note, in the EightyOne distribution there is a rom named Arabic31.ROM; it's not version 3.1 but 3-A but 1 and A looks quite similar in Arabic
Ah, ok. I can change that next time. EightyOne has a number of ROMs included with it, but it is not necessarily obviously what they are so I have left them alone.

Fruitcake wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:04 pm It does work! That is, only as a 16k machine. But I thought this was so incredibly dirty, I decided to leave it like that.
:lol:

Fruitcake wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:04 pm Hey, I'm not a native English speaker! :roll: :lol: :lol:
Hopefully someone will get my little joke... ;-)
MarcNL

Post by MarcNL »

Fruitcake wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:25 pm
MarcNL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:08 pm Not only Sinclair Egypt (actually the Matisco Trading & Inv. Co. of Cairo) but also Beckman in Sweden used this technique. The switch looks nicer though, it can be reached from the edge connector hole.
Oh, ok. So switch from standard English 48K BASIC to Swedish 48K BASIC?
Yes, it switches between Swedish/Norwegian or original English.
Fruitcake wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:25 pm
MarcNL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:08 pm Note, in the EightyOne distribution there is a rom named Arabic31.ROM; it's not version 3.1 but 3-A but 1 and A looks quite similar in Arabic
Ah, ok. I can change that next time. EightyOne has a number of ROMs included with it, but it is not necessarily obviously what they are so I have left them alone.
My bad, that ROM isn't in your distribution at all! Must've downloaded it from somewhere else, most likely here: https://speccy4ever.speccy.org/_SIN.htm
Marc
ZX80/MicroAce/ZX81/Lambda UK&USA, Spectrum/+/Beckman/Samsung, 128 Spain/UK/9G/Arabic, +2/+2A/+3/Arabic, CZ1500/2000/Spec/Plus, TK90X/95, Inves+, dB+, TC2048 PAL/NTSC/2068, TS1000/1500/2068, UK2086 ― and more!

GOTO www.sinclaircollection.site
georgeo

Post by georgeo »

Thanks for all of the updates to the debugger in EightyOne. This helps a lot with writing code.

I have a (possibly foolish) question. I'm using memory view to see what changes when I do something at the ZX80 prompt. The viewer colours Red any memory cell that has changed, so you can easily spot that. However, is there a way to reset the memory viewer, so that nothing has changed, to set a new baseline?[
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

georgeo wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:41 pm I have a (possibly foolish) question. I'm using memory view to see what changes when I do something at the ZX80 prompt. The viewer colours Red any memory cell that has changed, so you can easily spot that. However, is there a way to reset the memory viewer, so that nothing has changed, to set a new baseline?[
You can click STOP and then STEP to execute an instruction. That will clear all red items since they will not have changed due to the new instruction that was executed (although if it wrote to RAM then that location might show red). Then click RUN.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

Version 1.37 has just been released and is available from here.

A number of the ROMs that are included with EightyOne have been renamed and restructured into subfolders. You should delete your existing EightyOne installation before copying on the new files. When run, EightyOne might warn it can't find a ROM file, which will be because it is trying to find the ROM file using its old name. If this happens then either enter the Hardware dialog and select the ROM under its new name, or just delete the eightyone.ini file to resolve all such issues. The eightyone.ini file can now be deleted from within the emulator via:
Options menu > Configuration > Reset To Default Settings
MarcNL

Post by MarcNL »

Yay, a new version!

As one can see in the Release history.txt, it's a biggy.

Excited to see that so many other language ROMs are supported out of the (drop down) box, with matching keyboards! Did you know you can double click on a keyboard to double its size? I didn't know until 2 weeks ago :lol:

The ROMs and keyboards have all been verified against real hardware. Even the TC2068's TimeWord ROM has its own keyboard layout. PS. to see its 64 column mode, you have to tick the Advanced Effects box under TV Emulation. (Advanced Effects will also screw up the sync of the ZX80 display). Look up in your 2068 manual how to enter 64 column mode, its on page 247 ;)

Also the Arabic +3 ROM has finally been dumped and therefore supported! It's the only Arabic version with a fully translated 128 ROM -- the previous versions only had the 48K ROM translated. Typing commands in 128 BASIC is quite hard as you have to type out commands in full! But there is a hidden feature: if you are in English mode, type OUT 65503,255 to switch to Arabic without rebooting. OUT 65503,254 (keys OVNZ 30556,452 to spell out خروج) will switch back to English.

Because of the long filenames of the cartridges, Windows can throw a spanner in the works, don't burry it too deep in your directory tree. (EightyOne should warn for it though).

Can you find the little Easter Egg? It's hidden in plain sight :D

I didn't do any programming, all credits still go to Paul. I just got a chance to actually use some of my hardware to test and verify all the new features.
Marc
ZX80/MicroAce/ZX81/Lambda UK&USA, Spectrum/+/Beckman/Samsung, 128 Spain/UK/9G/Arabic, +2/+2A/+3/Arabic, CZ1500/2000/Spec/Plus, TK90X/95, Inves+, dB+, TC2048 PAL/NTSC/2068, TS1000/1500/2068, UK2086 ― and more!

GOTO www.sinclaircollection.site
Spezzi63

Post by Spezzi63 »

Fruitcake wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:09 am Version 1.37 has just been released and is available from here.
Hello,
A quick question, about my small problem:
My tests with Eightyone have shown that only after using the
Eightyone version e.g. "V0.43b" or "V0.52" even in the latest "Version 1.37",
the 8-bit Volume are recognized (connected to USB) .
About <drives-HD0> can not be selected or reselected in version 1.37 ?
Can anyone else confirm this behavior of Eightyone ?
If it were so, it could have been from version 0.52 at Eightyone,
that the possibility of the permanent selection of the connected 8-bit Volume, was simply forgotten?
Many greetings,
Günter
Reboot

Post by Reboot »

Fruitcake wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:09 am Version 1.37 has just been released and is available from here.
Thanks for your work on EightyOne.

I noticed there is a memotech HRG emulation edge fail case that only occurs when NTSC=1 (60Hz checkbox).

The attached file is best run at speed32.
Attachments
KJOY2J.p
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
Paul

Post by Paul »

Does this work on real hardware?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Reboot

Post by Reboot »

Paul wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:11 am Does this work on real hardware?
Yes.