z88 Demo Rom.

Discussion forums for users of the Cambridge Z88 Portable Computer
cj7hawk

z88 Demo Rom.

Post by cj7hawk »

Hi all,

Seems I have an early z88 that I just bought, and it comes with a demo ROM that tells customers all about what it does. Like an attract mode and it explains how pipedream works, and what the z88 can do, and shows different tools being used while narrated by the text onscreen. Is there anything interesting on this ROM, or is it just something they used to sell the z88s back in the 1980's.

I was surprised though when they showed a digital picture of Sir Clive on it.

Also, is it something that came with every z88 or just the ones that were used for demos?

Right about now, I'm busy printing a new battery cover for it as that was the one thing missing... I assume they break also?

(At this point, I should just ask if there is a "new z88 owner FAQ somewhere I should read I suppose ? )

David.
1024MAK

Re: z88 Demo Rom.

Post by 1024MAK »

I’ve not had any problems with the battery cover on mine.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk »

Hi Mark,

For some reason I've seen quite a few without battery covers, so I was assuming it's a fairly common thing.

Do you know much about the demo rom?

David
rcade

Post by rcade »

Did you dump the demo ROM?
cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk »

No, not really sure how to, and would prefer not to pry it apart to put in a burner...

But looking around, I found other rom images of the demo - It's the one with a picture of Sir Clive on the right side of the screen.

David
Jbizzel

Post by Jbizzel »

cj7hawk wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:34 pm No, not really sure how to, and would prefer not to pry it apart to put in a burner...

But looking around, I found other rom images of the demo - It's the one with a picture of Sir Clive on the right side of the screen.

David
Glad you got a z88 :)

Can you link us to this demo please? I'm not sure what it is.

There was a demo made by the retro community that has an image program, which I think includes a picture of Clive