Hello From Augsburg, Germany

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
mado

Hello From Augsburg, Germany

Post by mado »

Hi all. I'm Martin from south of Germany, Augsburg - though born in Hamburg. As for many others, my first computer was the ZX81 and now, 41 years later, I decided to bring up such a beast to life again.

After the ZX81 I also did own a ZX Spectrum, but the most experiments and fun I had with the ZX81. My friend Wolff and I did build an own keyboard made from digi switches at that time, when we were young.

After learning 68k assembly around the year 2000 whilest involved in the EmuTOS project I now had a first look into Z80 assembly. I find it interesting and just toying around with the zeddy, I think, it could be fun so see, what may be possible. My brand old toy. ;-.)

There had been so many developments for the zeddy, but one is still missing: Some way to replace the cpu's burden to manage the screen itself. If you know about any addition which takes this task over, I would be very interested. It could make the little one 4-5 times faster.

As a native German speaker you'll also find me at https://forum.tlienhard.com and in March I will be at the meeting in Mahlerts too.
Spinnetti

Re: Hello From Augsburg, Germany

Post by Spinnetti »

Willkommen

Your story is very much like many here. Its fun to go back to the early days of personal computing!
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+,Printer
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
Paul

Post by Paul »

mado wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:47 am but one is still missing: Some way to replace the cpu's burden to manage the screen itself. If you know about any addition which takes this task over, I would be very interested. It could make the little one 4-5 times faster.
Well kind of..
ZXWespi buffers the screen so it's not necessary to update it 50 times per second.
With a custom Screen driver the zeddy can be speed up because it's only updating the screen e.g. 10 times per second
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
dessony

Post by dessony »

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
DesSony