Greetings from Madrid, Spain

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
metalh4mster

Greetings from Madrid, Spain

Post by metalh4mster »

Hi there, how are you?

I've been a ZXBlast-powered ZX81 owner for a while, and a ZX Spectrum+ user since 1984 ;) .

During these days I'm trying to reach PokeMon for some questions about how the ZXBlast CPLD might be upgraded in place (I believe there's a JTAG socket in the board itself for that, that might require an Altera USB Blaster as well).

On the meantime I also use to organise some free, non-profit and non-commercial retrocomputing events in my country since 2015.
The next one will be held in Granada next October the 30th (Run ZX 2021) :)

For further details you might find my alternate profile at speccy.org there:
https://foro.speccy.org/memberlist.php? ... ile&u=2757

Cheers and Regards!
mrtinb

Re: Greetings from Madrid, Spain

Post by mrtinb »

Hi.

The firmware for ZXblast can be quite faulty. My ZXblast crashes often in the ZXblast menus trying to load.

However. Erik Olofsen has made a version of the fast Big Bang ROM with support for ZXmore and ZXblast. I have saved this ROM in instance 1 of my ZXblast. Now LOAD and SAVE loads from ZXblast, and not from tape. So now I can load, without needing to go to the menu with DS-L (double Shift-L).

(There is no DIR/CAT implemented, so you need to remember what is on your USB-stick, or look via the DS-L menu.)

Give it a try. It improved my ZXblast experience a lot.

Download from this post: https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/view ... 706#p37706
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Yes - there might be problems with ZXblast.
Hope to give a new version during this winter.
Planned to revive the ZXblast.
salvacam

Post by salvacam »

metalh4mster wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 am Hi there, how are you?

I've been a ZXBlast-powered ZX81 owner for a while, and a ZX Spectrum+ user since 1984 ;) .

During these days I'm trying to reach PokeMon for some questions about how the ZXBlast CPLD might be upgraded in place (I believe there's a JTAG socket in the board itself for that, that might require an Altera USB Blaster as well).

On the meantime I also use to organise some free, non-profit and non-commercial retrocomputing events in my country since 2015.
The next one will be held in Granada next October the 30th (Run ZX 2021) :)

For further details you might find my alternate profile at speccy.org there:
https://foro.speccy.org/memberlist.php? ... ile&u=2757

Cheers and Regards!
Welcome, I hope none of my games have spoiled the ZX81 for you

If it doesn't work, nothing happens, I'll take the raspberry pi
My games

ZX81 hoy Blog (in Spanish) of new games and applications for the ZX81
metalh4mster

Post by metalh4mster »

PokeMon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:20 pm Yes - there might be problems with ZXblast.
Hope to give a new version during this winter.
Planned to revive the ZXblast.
Thank you PokeMon, the ZXblast is a great project! We will talk about it during our next sinclair meetup at the end of this month, and showcase some homebrew software.
salvacam wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:35 pm Welcome, I hope none of my games have spoiled the ZX81 for you
If it doesn't work, nothing happens, I'll take the raspberry pi
Don't worry Salva, the ZXBlast is fully working but it doesn't have the latest features of 2017 (an improvement on the firmware self-upgrade process, as well as a nice file browser/selector for any program to be loaded, among other details). It will be as easy as uploading your games to a USB stick, plug the ZXBlast along with it, and powering on the ZX81 :D
metalh4mster

Post by metalh4mster »

mrtinb wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:55 pm Hi.

The firmware for ZXblast can be quite faulty. My ZXblast crashes often in the ZXblast menus trying to load.

However. Erik Olofsen has made a version of the fast Big Bang ROM with support for ZXmore and ZXblast. I have saved this ROM in instance 1 of my ZXblast. Now LOAD and SAVE loads from ZXblast, and not from tape. So now I can load, without needing to go to the menu with DS-L (double Shift-L).

(There is no DIR/CAT implemented, so you need to remember what is on your USB-stick, or look via the DS-L menu.)

Give it a try. It improved my ZXblast experience a lot.

Download from this post: https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/view ... 706#p37706
Thank you Martin, I will give it a try to see how it works even though I could just stay at the 1.0 version by the time (until PokeMon releases the latest update for the board). I will try to make some photos of our meeting and share some here and around :)
salvacam

Post by salvacam »

metalh4mster wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:28 am

Don't worry Salva, the ZXBlast is fully working but it doesn't have the latest features of 2017 (an improvement on the firmware self-upgrade process, as well as a nice file browser/selector for any program to be loaded, among other details). It will be as easy as uploading your games to a USB stick, plug the ZXBlast along with it, and powering on the ZX81 :D
I hope to have a surprise ready to present it at the RunZX, when I have progress I will show you
My games

ZX81 hoy Blog (in Spanish) of new games and applications for the ZX81