Hello I took a Timex out of the Library in 1983

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
jdfan1000

Re: Hello I took a Timex out of the Library in 1983

Post by jdfan1000 »

Some of Rick Dickinson’s design drawings are available online. They show an interesting progression of the design process. Given that the Microace is an illegal copy, I don’t think it would have had much concious influence.

Both the ZX80 and Microace use vacuum formed cases. It’s a reasonably priced process for prototyping/short runs.

As far as the colors of the Microace go, they are the photographic negative of the ZX80. I’ve long wondered if that was intentional or they messed up some part of the manufacturing process (supplying a negative instead of transparency to the keyboard manufacturer, for instance).
My archive.org collection, containing many Timex/Sinclair related publications.

TimexSinclair.com, my website about Sinclair computers in the US.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Only the issue one ZX80s were vacuum formed and were mostly, possibly all, the ones made by Tek Electronics, the issue twos made by Timex used the same ABS method as the ZX81.

When looking at pictures the issue ones are identified by the upper case front right and left corners being radiused or rounded whereas the issue twos upper case front corners are straight or right angled. The front white edge of the computer is usually thicker on the ABS machines, the ABS computers were also usually sold without the functions label on the upper case front.
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
590px-Sinclair_ZX80.jpg
TS1000 Library User

Post by TS1000 Library User »

Cool info on the MicroAce and ZX80 design! :)

I found another article about the Sinclair ZX80 and Timex 1000 library lending program here on page 9 of Timex Sinclair User 4:
http://datassette.nyc3.cdn.digitalocean ... user_4.pdf

This is a really cool classic computer magazine, I love reading the scene details I missed bitd and the cool projects like shown on the cover:
http://datassette.nyc3.cdn.digitalocean ... user_5.pdf

Still haven't picked up a TS1000 yet but enjoying the emu and will be getting one presently.

The low memory footprint is so refreshingly intriguing, reminds me of my first computers a 4K TRS-80 and the 2K TS, a 1K ZX would have been even more inspiring but I want to get the TS 1000 model I had first experimented with.

Some of the 16K games are amazingly fun Today for the classic large pixes, 64x48 is awesome for block graphics even without hires, I wonder if there is any way to do hires with 16K without modification?

I am interested in stock development without modifications so I will be exploring 1K and 2K hires that Dr Beep is doing so impressively and building a 16k 64x48 block graphics game. Also want to explore the sound output through the cassette if it is possible to maintain the display at the same time.
TS1000 Library User

Post by TS1000 Library User »

Cool CIB TS1000 with 3 shrink wrapped 2K tape mixes
Cool CIB TS1000 with 3 shrink wrapped 2K tape mixes
Output from TS1000, wavy lines?
Output from TS1000, wavy lines?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum TS1000 Library User!

:D :D :D

I hope you enjoy this forum :D
wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 pm Also want to explore the sound output through the cassette if it is possible to maintain the display at the same time.
As the cassette (mic) and the video out share the same ULA pin, audio sound can only be produced when the video picture is not being generated.

If you have hardware troubles, please start a new topic in the hardware section ;)
A machine that produces wavy lines either is not tuned in properly (does the TV have a fine tuning control?), there is a poor connection in the cable, or with one of the connectors or there is a fault with the machine.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.