Hello I took a Timex out of the Library in 1983

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
TS1000 Library User

Hello I took a Timex out of the Library in 1983

Post by TS1000 Library User »

TimexComputerPower.jpg
TimexComputerPower.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Hi!
I had a 4K TRS-80 when my local library obtained Timex Sinclair 1000's for patrons to take out on loan like books.

It was fascinating to check out the Timex Sinclair 1000 and Sinclair BASIC, and the 2K was quite usable with the screen efficient memory scheme.

I didn't get to keep the Micro long enough to get as familiar with it as I wanted to as a programmer, and always wanted one of my own despite having a TRS-80 that was also an excellent machine!

I've been planning to pick one up with working keys if I can find one so I can actually use it with CRT again, there was something mesmerizing about programming the old machines connected to a classic Television that is lost Today - it was so easy to lose track of time.

I'd like to write a 2K game with the 64x48 block graphics and learn about the new methods for hi-res programming.

I'd also like to explore what might be possible with the sound using the cassette port, this tune by yerzmyey is fantastic but uses additional sound hardware, the TRS-80 was also intended to have no sound hardware but could be made to output sound through the cassette.
Moggy

Re: Hello I took a Timex out of the Library in 1983

Post by Moggy »

Hi TS1000.

Welcome to our little forum. :D

There's stack of information on the forum that should make for interesting reading, some of which covers your interests,plus some very knowledgeable folk who will help with any queries you might have.

Feel free to join in and again welcome aboard!

Regards.

Moggy.
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

TS1000 Library User wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:19 pm TimexComputerPower.jpg
Hi!
I had a 4K TRS-80 when my local library obtained Timex Sinclair 1000's for patrons to take out on loan like books.

It was fascinating to check out the Timex Sinclair 1000 and Sinclair BASIC, and the 2K was quite usable with the screen efficient memory scheme.

I didn't get to keep the Micro long enough to get as familiar with it as I wanted to as a programmer, and always wanted one of my own despite having a TRS-80 that was also an excellent machine!

I've been planning to pick one up with working keys if I can find one so I can actually use it with CRT again, there was something mesmerizing about programming the old machines connected to a classic Television that is lost Today - it was so easy to lose track of time.

I'd like to write a 2K game with the 64x48 block graphics and learn about the new methods for hi-res programming.

I'd also like to explore what might be possible with the sound using the cassette port, this tune by yerzmyey is fantastic but uses additional sound hardware, the TRS-80 was also intended to have no sound hardware but could be made to output sound through the cassette.
The original hardware does show up on eBay from time to time and modern replacement parts are available, such as new keyboards and replacement ULA chips. There are also the EightyOne and SZ81 emulators which support a number of features.

There is even this project: https://revspace.nl/ZX81plus38_simple_t ... X-81_clone
TS1000 Library User

Thanks Moggy and Barry!

I've been reading the manuals online and have downloaded EightyOne and some classics and amazing new games like 1K hires Qbert and ZX81 Assembly lessons from Dr Beep.

That is a very interesting article you linked on rewriting the video driver for tile based blitter games, I'm looking forward to seeing that develop.

I like that EightyOne will let me configure it as a TS1000 or ZX81, and that it supports other models including the Jupiter Ace running Forth. I was intrigued by that contemporary Micro as well but I never saw the Jupiter Ace anywhere other than early advertisements in BYTE.

Regarding the real hardware I would like to find a new old stock Timex Sinclair 1000, or a rarely used model to ensure that the keyboard works and if not I will look into one of the new membrane keyboard replacements.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

It's not so bad if the keyboard is broken. You'll then connect an external keyboard, and you'll appreciate it in the long run.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

Even new old stock ones often need the keyboard replaced. The plastic degrades over time, wither anyone has used the system or not. The replacement keyboards are pretty much an exact match though.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Its also quite often possible to trim the connectors to get an old one working again.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
jdfan1000

Post by jdfan1000 »

You'll find some resources over here: https://www.timexsinclair.com/computers ... lair-1000/
My archive.org collection, containing many Timex/Sinclair related publications.

TimexSinclair.com, my website about Sinclair computers in the US.
David G

Post by David G »

Checked out of the library? I learned something new today, never heard of that before. Right on!
TS1000 Library User wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:19 pmI'd also like to explore what might be possible with the sound using the cassette port
Try "MUSIK" by Memotronic, listen from the cassette port
P2A-musiccomposer.p
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

I've been working on a real-time editor for the tunes ... work still in progress. The original note-based editor works OK
TS1000 Library User

jdfan1000 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:59 pm You'll find some resources over here: https://www.timexsinclair.com/computers ... lair-1000/
Cool site I liked the descriptions and photos of the systems, wonder if the MicroAce influenced the ZX81/TS1000 black case and streamlining.
David G wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 am Checked out of the library? I learned something new today, never heard of that before. Right on!
TS1000 Library User wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:19 pmI'd also like to explore what might be possible with the sound using the cassette port
Try "MUSIK" by Memotronic, listen from the cassette port
P2A-musiccomposer.p

I've been working on a real-time editor for the tunes ... work still in progress. The original note-based editor works OK
Thanks I will check this out! Looking forward to seeing the real-time editor develop. I wonder if there is any way to use this in games and maintain the display like slow mode. Curious how the DA conversion happens under CPU control without dedicated DA Convertor hardware, very clever design.

Found this demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLlLsznedY