Big Hello from an MSX guy!

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
defdanny

Big Hello from an MSX guy!

Post by defdanny »

Hello ZX community, hello forum,
to start with the bad message first: I am and never was a Speccy / ZX user.
My heart belongs to the MSX platform, that was my first homecomputer in 1984.
For a few years now, I rediscovered my hardware and love to the MSX computers. There is a very active MSX community around the world...
lots of home brew software and hardware developement going on there in 2021. I guess its the same here in the Speccy world!

So, why am I here and not on www.msx.org ?

Well, I do some music tracking for different game projects on the MSX, and since the Spectrum and MSX share the same soundchip AY-3-8910, I get much inspiration from the great AY compositions on the ZX. So many great resources on the internet, much respect for the ZX music scene!

This leads me directly to my question... (dear board admins, please forgive if this is not the right place for this question / subject.
Let me know where's a better place for it in your forum)

I found some really nice ZX chiptunes on the net, the file format is .ASC (for example on https://zxart.ee/ )
Now, I want to replay those .ASC files in a tracker program... sadly, the format seems not very common.
I found out, that the original program for this file format was "ASC Sound Master v1.x".

Can anyone tell me, where to get this software? I would like to run it in an ZX emulator, to load those ASC files.

Thanks in advance! Any help appreciated from the ZX scene!
Def Danny
1024MAK

Re: Big Hello from an MSX guy!

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum Def Danny!

:D :D :D

Have you tried Spectrum Computing?
Or World of Spectrum?
Or World of Spectrum Classic?
Note the last two sites are run by different people despite the similar names.

The ZX Spectrum and the earlier Sinclair models (ZX80 and ZX81) have three forums, this forum plus the forum at Spectrum Computing and World of Spectrum.

The ZX81 also uses the AY sound chip in various sound expansions, the most modern and most versatile interface that includes a AY chip, is the ZXpand. I’m sure the members who actually have a sense of a tune will be along soon to say hello and add to what I’ve said...

I hope you enjoy this forum :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi from me too Def Danny.

Chiptunes not really my thing to be honest but I do use a MIDI file player as well as a tracker on the ZX81 to create pieces that I mix with real instruments (bass drums guitar etc) so not up to speed re Spectrum trackers which is what you wish to use I assume?

I know Vortex tracker for windows can play ASC files and save them as PT3's or export them as spectrum TAP files with or without player,or AY etc so maybe worth looking at.

In case you don't have it I have attached it to this post.

Again welcome aboard.

Regards.

Moggy.

EDIT.

I have found a utility called AY tracker by J Cauldwell which may also be useful for playing ASC files after conversion to AY, by vortex.
The utility can be found at the link below.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=15557
Attachments
VT1.0beta19Plus.zip
(693.23 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
defdanny

Post by defdanny »

Hi Mark, Hi Moggy,
thank you for the warm welcome!

@Moggy: THAT is exactly what I was looking for. THANK YOU so much.
For me it is really interesting to see, how the AY / PSG miracles of the Speccy scene were done.

So, my first question in this forum was solved in one night, good start for a newbie in a forum, I would say. ;)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Always glad to help Def Danny. :D

The folk here are most knowledgable and will gladly help out where possible and, like myself, I think you will find this a most friendly forum.