This is the Outer Hebrides calling

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
sorenlorensen

This is the Outer Hebrides calling

Post by sorenlorensen »

Hi folks

New around here, but not that new to the ZX world.

I'd imagine like most folks, I got my first computer (a ZX80) when I was 10 years old, graduated through ZX81, a 48K Spectrum and a QL (for two weeks ...) before heading into the PC world (with a brief detour via Atari STs). Probably like a lot of other people too, I never kept a single one of them, selling the previous one to part-fund the newer model.

I work in IT, and have a hobby-level interest in electronics which has recently led me into the retro computing world, where I've rekindled an old flame in my love for all things Sinclair. I've bought (from ebay, in various states of disrepair) an Issue 1 ZX81 (which is *almost* working properly), an issue 2 48K Spectrum (which after a lot of work and a pretty hard life by the looks of it is finally working) and a grey plus 128K +2. The latter is a machine I never owned at the time - the whole Amstrad/Sinclair era passed me by as by that time, I was well on my PC journey.

So anyways, nice to be here and expect lots of dumb questions about ZX81s and why they don't do what I expect from them ...

S
Moggy

Re: This is the Outer Hebrides calling

Post by Moggy »

Welcome to our world. :D

Feel free to ask anything (no question is too dumb) and the gurus here will be more than happy to help you out.
Also browse the various threads as they are interesting and very informative.

A good bunch of folk here and I'm sure you'll fit right in.

Moggy.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Outer Hebrides?
Sounds good. I love Scotland. :mrgreen:
Which Whisky destillery is closest to you?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Paul wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:45 pm Outer Hebrides?
Sounds good. I love Scotland. :mrgreen:
Which Whisky destillery is closest to you?
I was waiting for this,what took you so long Paul?! :lol:

I should add that Paul and myself are very big fans of the water of life. :lol:
sorenlorensen

Post by sorenlorensen »

Aren't we all?

I'm out on the Isle of Lewis; there are a couple of distilleries not that far - Abhainn Dearg (https://abhainndeargdistillery.co.uk/) and the Isle of Harris distillery (which is only producing gin at the moment).

Nearest well-known ones would be on Skye.

It's not a bad spot to stay ...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hah!
On my last stay on Skye I took the car to ullapool and the ferry to Stornoway because I never was on the Outer Hebrides before.
And yes, Talisker on Skye makes some fine stuff.
The distilleries visitors centre is quite boring though.
But the Talisker 57 north is one of my favourite drams.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum sorenlorensen!

:D :D :D

We can forgive you having a Speccy, a QL and even an Atari ST. But not a PC back then :twisted:

I hope you enjoy the forum :D

Mark

PS there are two ZX Spectrum forums (plus we cover the Speccy here as well), a QL forum, and an Atari ST forum, plus a general Atari Forum. Let me know if you want links ;)
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.