Greetings from Blaine, Minnesota

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
stroebeljc

Greetings from Blaine, Minnesota

Post by stroebeljc »

I'm John and have had a ZX81 since 1981. It sat in my parent's attic for at least 35 years. We had to move them out of their house and I found most of my old machine. I have the ZX81 with 16k RAMPack and a Parrot speech synthesizer. These still work, although I can't daisy chain them and get my machine to boot (working on that, any suggestions?). I have a bunch of my old thermal printouts, which still look fabulous, and even a roll of thermal paper. Sadly, the printer is nowhere to be found. I was able to pull a bunch of programs off of cassettes I found and convert them to P files. I can now easily play them into my ZX81 with a laptop PC. My ZX81 is an Issue 3 with 1k RAM and the 16k Rampack is also an Issue 3 (single board). The only modifications I have made are to add a video conditioner (thanks http://zx.zigg.net/) and the WRX memory mod to get high res video.

I have fallen in love, again, with this machine. It is where I start coding, and still do today! I love the EightyOne emulator and am hoping someone brings the SF repository back online. I've already made modifications to it to add the Parrot, which actually turned out pretty cool.

Glad to be part of this group and I can't wait to learn more from you all!

Regards,
John
John
dr beep

Re: Greetings from Blaine, Minnesota

Post by dr beep »

Welcome John and you have a lot to pick up after 35 years being banned in the attic.

A lot of new games have been developped in the last years and also a lot of hardware.
Take a look and download many games from the new games section, including my 1K games in lowres, but even more in 1K HIRES.

Have fun and stay safe.

Johan "Dr Beep" Koelman
mrtinb

Re: Greetings from Blaine, Minnesota

Post by mrtinb »

stroebeljc wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:50 pm I love the EightyOne emulator and am hoping someone brings the SF repository back online. I've already made modifications to it to add the Parrot, which actually turned out pretty cool.
I think EightyOne is currently maintained by Fruitcake. Talk with him.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube