Greetings from North Yorkshire

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
Jearland

Greetings from North Yorkshire

Post by Jearland »

Hi everyone, I'm John from Great Ayton in North Yorkshire, boyhood home of Captain James Cook. My first experience of computing was actually with a Commodore PET when I was at school at the tender age of 13! But, my first computer was in fact a Sinclair Spectrum and I loved it and still have it. My most recent purchase is a ZX81 which I am trying to repair - it has a loading program issue right now. I am also repairing a Commodore PET which I also recently acquired - disk accessing error. So all in all very busy. I am happy to help anyone where I can!
Paul

Re: Greetings from North Yorkshire

Post by Paul »

Oh oh, he used the forbidden C-word.
Just kidding.
Welcome to our forums.
Most Zeddy friends have encountered loading problems during the last 40 years. Mostly because there is no "standard" recorder like Datasette.
That's why nowadays I first try something safe and cheap loading device like a tapeduino before searching the error in my computer or my setup.
Just my few cents.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Jearland

Re: Greetings from North Yorkshire

Post by Jearland »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the welcome. It's really interesting that because that's exactly what I've just gone and done - bought a TZXuino - or some such similar device. When it arrives I will try it out. I have two ZX81's - one works fine but the other doesn't :-( I shall wait for the results when the new device arrives. I have the replacement ULA; vLA81 installed so it should be okay. However, I am wondering whether it's my soldering that's at fault. I'll have to investigate further.

Best wishes,
John