Hello from Marin County

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
DistantStar001

Hello from Marin County

Post by DistantStar001 »

Hi all,

So unlike most of you I suppose, I was an old Apple user from back when that was unpopular and PC users used to tease me for it. The first computer I ever worked with was My Grandfather's old Apple //e (which I still have and even works after a fashion). My first computer was a Mac SE, and over the last few years, I've been getting into collecting and learning about as many old computers as I can. Honestly, being in the States (and somewhat oblivious at the time) I never even heard of Sinclair or anything outside of Apple IBM and their various clones. Well, I did hear about the C64 but had never seen so much as a picture of one until I was in my late thirties. Now I own three. ;)

As for the Timex Sinclair/ZX81... I seem to be following the same pattern. My first is fully functional, 2k untouched, the other two are, shall we say, works in progress. So I expect to be asking a lot of hardware questions in the near future.

I've posted a lot on AtariAge, and joined a few other retro computer forums over the years (mostly Apple II related but Lemon64 as well), and when I got my TS-1000s I was referred here. So I'm looking forward to learning something new, and getting a few old computers up and running again like they deserve!
Lardo Boffin

Re: Hello from Marin County

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Welcome on board!

Its probably a little quieter here than the forums you are used to. :D

Growing up in the UK at school it was either Sinclair or Acorn (the BBC Micro) with very little else, maybe an occasional C64 or Dragon 32. I did have one friend who’s dad worked for IBM as a computer programmer and always had the unusual kit - he had an Atari 800 and then an Apple II (can’t remember which model but it had two disc drives and a colour monitor which was a lot of money over here back then!). Of course we played Bard’s Tale and Wizardry!
Happy days. 8-)
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA