Hello from the UK!

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
CarolineZX81

Hello from the UK!

Post by CarolineZX81 »

Hi,

I had a ZX81 in the 1980's, with Psion Chess, 3D Defender and 3D Monster Maze. I also learned to program in BASIC but was never able to grasp Assembly programming. A few years ago (about 2015) my brother gave me another ZX81 for my birthday with a RAM pack but no power supply. As a busy Mum this project was put to one side reluctantly but over the past year have gradually acquired a CRT, connection cables and configured a multi purpose power supply (thanks to advice on this board) and last month I had it working (and displaying "Hello World"). See attached photo.

However I have not been able to successfully save any programs with the cassette recorder and tapes in my possession. I shall post a query about this on an appropriate page on this forum.

Best wishes.
Attachments
20200113_193852 - Copy.jpg
1024MAK

Re: Hello from the UK!

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum CarolineZX81!

:D :D :D

I hope you enjoy the forum :D

You’re getting there ;)

We are happy to help if you have any questions.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Erm

Post by Erm »

Loving the keyboard stuck-on add-on.

And also, may I say, without wanting to sound like some kind of stereotypical computer geek that doesn't get out much (although I think that is probably unavoidable): what lovely hands you have for a lady who must surely be in about the same age bracket as other original ZX81 users.

(bet others were thinking it, but too shy to bring it up!)

Is it due to supplies of original 1980s Oil of Ulay? ;)
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

@Erm, so who was taking the photo? You are making a lot of assumptions...! :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Erm

Post by Erm »

That's a very good point actually, I should have given it more thought. I'll get my coat.
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.