My ZX80 story

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
hackdog

My ZX80 story

Post by hackdog »

Hi all! My journey into the mysterieus ZX world began about two decades ago when I was a kid of about 15. I had been getting into programming my own stuff for a few years back then. That magic feeling when you learn to make a machine obey your wishes! :)

One day Dad showed me his ZX80, which was his very own first personal computer. I was immediately captivated by its diminutive size, the awful keyboard, the screen flicker on each keypress, but also that it actually worked as a real computer and that you could easily write some useful, albeit simple programs on it. We didn't have much luck loading Dad's old tapes back into it at the time, but years later, when I had learned C and my programming skills had improved, I wrote my own converters that could parse the tape audio back into runnable .O files and reproduce the listings.

Its 16K RAMPACK didn't work for some time but during my university years I found some spare 4116's that brought it back to life. Later I wrote an Enigma simulator in Z80 assembler, just to see if I could pull it off, which I did. Took a lot of tries to finally get it loaded on the real device, but I felt so proud when my hard work was running so well on that little box!

Dad had always supported me in my endeavours and he enjoyed that I appreciated his dear old computer as much as he did. Sadly, he unexpectedly passed away last year. But I'm sure that he knows how I will continue to take loving care of his equipment. To me, it's Personal Computing in more ways than one. And I hope that I can one day pass it down to kids of my own, who will then hopefully like it as much as I do. For whatever these plucky computers may lack in horsepower, they make up for it by inspiring the mind to work around the limitations.

Miss you Dad, we've had so much fun together! :cry:
Paul

Re: My ZX80 story

Post by Paul »

Hi hackdog
Welcome to our forums.
This is a great introductional post of yours.
I like the story.
And I also hope that, in the next two decades, my sons, who are now in their twenties, will also become interested in my dear old Sinclair machines.
Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
TheZuke

Post by TheZuke »

Welcome hackdog!
I enjoyed reading your intro.
hackdog

Post by hackdog »

Thank fellas! Glad to be here!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello and welcome to our forum hackdog!

:D :D :D

I hope you enjoy the forum :D

We are happy to help if you have any questions.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.