How I came to the ZX81

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
Erm

How I came to the ZX81

Post by Erm »

You know, usual thing. Kid of the 80s. I had, and still have, a great Uncle (great uncle as in cool, not great as in the uncle of a parent, just to clear that up).

He was into tech and I got his hand-me-downs, simple as that. He got a new QL, so I got his ZX81 in about 1984/5. I had no way of saving or loading anything at the time so every session consisted of me typing out a basic program, trying it, making silly changes, then turning it off to be lost forever.

My stepdad nicked my ZX81 and some speccies at some stage, but just recently I now find myself with several Sinclair products including about 8 ZX81's, mostly in various stages of disrepair, a couple of QL's and some other 'foreign' i.e non Sinclair stuff. I'll be thinning down and have been attempting some minor repairs and upgrades like Video mods and simple stuff including making whole computers out of various parts that I got in a job lot. I do have a question regarding one problem ZX81 at the moment and will ask that in the appropriate place.

Hello.
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
RWAP

Re: How I came to the ZX81

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums - most members seem to have quite a range of machines but we tend to focus on the Zeddies with a bit on the Jupiter Ace and Speccy plus clones
Erm

Post by Erm »

Hello Rich, it's me, Chr$ from the QL forum (it wouldn't allow the $ here). I suspect I'll get that parcel from you any day now.
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome on board Chris!

:D :D :D

Hello. A warm welcome to Sinclair ZX World.

Ahh, hence the avatar...!

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.