New member from the UK rediscovering ZX’s

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
Daeve

New member from the UK rediscovering ZX’s

Post by Daeve »

Hi, Dave here. I’ve been lurking for a long while on and off and finally joined up.

I got my ZX81 in around 82/83 as a hand me down from my cousin who moved “up” (!?) to a BBC model B. I have vivid memories of the ram pack wobble and trying to save type ins with much frustration and quickly went back to the Atari 2600 we had for a more instant “hit”. I finally got into computing for real with a Spectrum plus Christmas 84 I think which lasted a good 7 or 8 years.
After picking up a Jupiter Ace recently which had fascinated me for years and backing the Spectrum Next (already have a board in a modified speccy I thought I’d better have another go with my first computer again, I fancied doing some refurbishing of old systems after learning soldering and getting into basic electronics.

Managed to pick up a custom case/keyboard Zeddy which I’m about to explore and a couple of other standard case models, the plan was to do some composite mods and any repairs and eventually build a custom keyboard. This forum has been great, learned loads and realized I knew next to nothing!
1024MAK

Re: New member from the UK rediscovering ZX’s

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome on board Dave!

:D :D :D

Enjoy the forum :D

Shout out if you need help :mrgreen:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome here!
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Hi Dave and welcome here.

BTW Have you sill got the Juppiter ACE?
Claudius
----------
Daeve

Post by Daeve »

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Yep still got the Ace, not got round the composite mod (ZXVid) yet, was planning a crazy idea of making a vacuum former and/or silicon mound and resin cast and trying to make a new one. Very long term project I reckon. I picked up the Parts to build a replica a couple of months ago and would need something to house it in (once i’ve Improved my soldering and electronics knowledge to be able to troubleshoot it!).

Before cleaning:
421F65DB-B721-48C1-A6E4-93636DE78796.jpeg
After:
EEDB4841-8E38-4FF6-9C87-0E1FD2C00780.jpeg
Partial clean, some bottom case damage previously repaired before I bought it:
82C3145F-19E1-4868-BF0B-E4303DAF77BE.jpeg
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

So you are the lucky one, who won the auction on this unit. Congratulation!
Claudius
----------