Hello from Spain

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
overCLK

Hello from Spain

Post by overCLK »

Hello all! Just joined and wanted to introduce myself :-)

My name is Manuel and live in the northwest of Spain (yes, the green and rainy side). I've found this forum to be an awesome source of information since I've got two ZX81 computers about a year ago. I bought them untested and had luck with one of them (working but with the keyboard membrane a bit cracky, what I could fix by cutting the damaged part), and bad luck with the other one (fried ULA).

I really enjoy collecting these old computers and putting them to work again. It's a great feeling you got when you are able to bring back to life one of these machines, and they also bring me great memories of my youth (even though I owned an Amstrad CPC and an Atari ST in my youth).

Having a broken computer forces me to find ways to fix it, and therefore to investigate how the computer works. And this is just part of the fun. Looking forward to learn more about the ZX81 since I've seen there are a lot of experts around. :-)

Cheers
1024MAK

Re: Hello from Spain

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello overCLK

A warm welcome to our forum.

I’m glad to hear that you have got one of your Zeddies working :D

Please do enjoy the forum.

When he has recovered, Andy (a member here) may make some more of his replacement ULA modules. For more information have a read of this thread ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
overCLK

Post by overCLK »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm Hello overCLK

A warm welcome to our forum.

I’m glad to hear that you have got one of your Zeddies working :D

Please do enjoy the forum.

When he has recovered, Andy (a member here) may make some more of his replacement ULA modules. For more information have a read of this thread ;)

Mark
Hi Mark. Thanks a lot.
I've followed closely the thread regarding the ULA replacement development. Actually that is one of the reasons I decided to subscribe. ;-)
Because the Zeddy that worked is not feeling well (but not quite dead). It developed some video failures (missing pixels, probably the shift register functionality in the ULA) and so I tried to develop myself also a ULA replacement. It's not working properly and I will like to expose my problems to this clever community to see if we can figure out what is happening. I'm also tempted to give in and just wait for Andy replacements to be available again, but... it would be nice to fix my work too. :-)

But enough of this here. I will post detailed information in the ULA Replacement thread.

Cheers.
Manuel
Dim_75

Post by Dim_75 »

Hola Manuel :P
Around you you should also find some interesting stuff as for Indescomp wich made many things in Spain for the ZX (memory extension, keyboard case, FDD controler, HRG and sound cards, many programs too, ...)
I had the chance to buy /exchange some Indescomp products in France in the 80's but it was quite hard to find.

And good choice for ULA replacement, just have to wait little ! :o
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

hi Manuel :)
Claudius
----------
overCLK

Post by overCLK »

Dim_75 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 pm Hola Manuel :P
Around you you should also find some interesting stuff as for Indescomp wich made many things in Spain for the ZX (memory extension, keyboard case, FDD controler, HRG and sound cards, many programs too, ...)
I had the chance to buy /exchange some Indescomp products in France in the 80's but it was quite hard to find.

And good choice for ULA replacement, just have to wait little ! :o
Hi Dim_75. Yes, the problem is that prices are going mad these days, specially for scarce or hard to find items. I ended buying my Zeddies in UK because they use to be cheaper than here, even taking postage into account.

Cheers.
overCLK

Post by overCLK »

McKlaud wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 amhi Manuel :)
Hi Claudius. Thanks for dropping by. ;-)
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Hi Manuel, you#ll find it's mostly a happy place here, with happy people :lol:
1024MAK wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm When he has recovered, Andy (a member here) may make some more of his replacement ULA modules. For more information have a read of this thread ;)
erm yeah... honestly it's just laziness i have parts to build at least 20 ULA's but if i don't do them soon i'm on holiday for most of december...

any way welcome to the forum hope you find it useful

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
overCLK

Post by overCLK »

Andy Rea wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:34 pm Hi Manuel, you#ll find it's mostly a happy place here, with happy people :lol:
1024MAK wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm When he has recovered, Andy (a member here) may make some more of his replacement ULA modules. For more information have a read of this thread ;)
erm yeah... honestly it's just laziness i have parts to build at least 20 ULA's but if i don't do them soon i'm on holiday for most of december...

any way welcome to the forum hope you find it useful

Regards Andy
Hi Andy. Yes, that's my feeling so far. :-)
Regarding your ULAs, I have to say that I'm tempted, but I'm afraid that if I get yours maybe I don't get the strength to fix mine. :-)
Thanks for your warm welcome.

Best regards.
Manuel
dessony

Post by dessony »

overCLK,

A warm welcome to the ZX80, ZX81 / TS1000 and TS1500 Forum! :-D

Cheers,
DesSony