New member from Oregon, USA

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
desiv

New member from Oregon, USA

Post by desiv »

Morning!
Just picked up a pair of them last night! My first Sinclair machines!

I got a US ZX81 and a Timex Sinclair 1000.
I also got 1 original power supply, a 16k Sinclair RAM pack, 2 printers (1 Sinclair and 1 Timex Sinclair), and several rolls of paper.
Both of the computers look really nice!!! I'm really happy! And they mostly seem to work.. ;-)

The TS1000 powered up and looks pretty good (hooked to my CRT color TV downstairs), but keys 1-5 don't seem to be working. Not a surprise as I did some research and expected keyboard issues. ;-) I will try the "cut the ribbon cable" method and/or get a new replacement keyboard.

The ZX81 power jack isn't happy tho. It's way too loose... So I'll have to tighten it up or replace it. (Thoughts?)
I was able to get a power connection to it for testing and it powered up, but the screen image didn't look anywhere near as nice as the TS1000. I'm thinking maybe it is the earlier ULA that doesn't work as well with newer monitors. As I am probably going to to composite mod them, I'm not too worried about that either.

I didn't try the RAM pack or the printers or anything else really. I ran out of time to do more testing. ;-(
But I am really pleased with them.

The ZX81 (kit) was the first computer I wanted and tried to get my parents to help me buy when I was younger. They didn't go for it (as I didn't own and had never used a soldering iron, probably the right call). Eventually, they got me a Vic-20 and I followed the Commodore path from there.
But I always wanted a ZX81/TS1000....
And yes, I am working VERY hard on calling it a "Zed X 81"... It's difficult for me, but I think I am getting it.. ;-)
gammaray

Re: New member from Oregon, USA

Post by gammaray »

But if your from Texas you say "ZEE EX ATEY WON" and "Time-X Seenclare Won Thoozand"! :lol:

ZED is French letter Z and as every Frenchman knows; Texans don't speak Francais worth a darn!
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Welcome! They are great computers. The first computer I ever saw in the flesh was a ZX81. Happy days.

Pokemon on SellMyRetro.com normally sells the power jack sockets but his listing is closed at the moment. You can get them elsewhere as well but they tend to cost more. I have bought a load of stuff from this site:-
https://www.retroleum.co.uk/zx81-connectors

Pokemon also sells the awesome ZX8-CCB composite mod board on there. :D
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello desiv

Welcome to our forum :D

Please take a look around. There are gems of information everywhere. And if you have a question, please ask.

There were three different versions of the ULA. If your ZX81 has either the first, or second version, of the ULA, the best ‘fix’ is either a ZX8-CCB or the rival ZXVid. Both (when available) can be bought from Sell My Retro

Oh, and informally we call them Zeddies ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
desiv

Post by desiv »

Thanx.
I saw some info on the ZXVid and ZX8-CCB.
Not sure yet what the difference is. ;-)
The research is more than half the fun tho! ;-)
I think I'll try to do a manual transistor mod for the TS1000, as the RF image looked pretty good on my TV.
I'm thinking the ZX is going to need something more advanced tho, so probably one of the above.

I actually think I will probably do a TZDuino soon, mostly because I think I already have all the parts needed. ;-)
Although I really have to replace the audio CAPs and RCA jack on my Amiga 1000, so that needs to be my next fix.
Hoping to get to that this weekend. Than I can start the ZX fun. ;-)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Also worth mentioning is the ZX81 ULA developed by Andy Rea bringing the ULA total to 4.
Currently out of stock but does away with external video boards completely.

ULA can be found here..

https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... -ula-32319

Thread about the same here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2928
desiv

Post by desiv »

Moggy wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:01 pmAlso worth mentioning is the ZX81 ULA developed by Andy Rea bringing the ULA total to 4.
Awesome!!!
I was wondering about the ULAs, as that appeared to be a possible weak point keeping these guys running...
And interesting about the video in the new ULA replacement. Hmmm...

Thanx!
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

Andy has only made a hundred or so. He's probably still recovering from the soldering fumes if he hasn't already given himself dain brammage. :lol:
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian
desiv

Post by desiv »

Hey, bonus score....
My TS1000/ZX81's didn't come with any manuals. No biggie...
But yesterday I flashed on something....
Years ago, my wife's sister gave me a book on the system. (She and my wife are both both huge used book buyers and it was something she had found in a used bookstore at some time.)
I didn't have one of those computers, but told her (truthfully!!!) that I always wanted one, so it was a great gift.

So I went looking for it last night...

Apparently what I had forgotten was she had gotten me 2 books. A good general little book on the TS1000 (Mastering Your Timex-Sinclair 1000 Personal Computer)....

AND a Timex Sinclair 1000 user manual!
(The spiral bound one that came with the system. Not sure how I had forgotten I had that one... For some reason, I didn't have it with my other old computer books.)

Woo Hoo!
It's not in the best shape, but not too bad...
I'm not an "original and complete" collector who needs everything original and pristine in box.
But I do like to have the original manual(s) that came with some of the systems.

I remember the original manual for the Vic-20 that I had being a decent intro into BASIC and really enjoying those early basic BASIC days. ;-) (especially since I couldn't afford any games back then)
I think sometimes people underestimate how important a decent manual was for these older systems.
:-)
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Alright! Sometimes I look around and T'ZX81'000 manuals are like gnomes or mushrooms around here!
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM