New member from Oregon, USA

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
mhudson52

Re: New member from Oregon, USA

Post by mhudson52 »

Thanks, Moggy.

Like my 3K Ram Pack reproduction and ZXpand enclosures, sometimes I just have to do something because no one had ever done it before, as well as trying to fill a need amongst Zeddy owners. All the things you mentioned about the printer are indeed spot-on, but still this is something I feel to be worth my time and effort.

And I'm still working (at least mentally) on my vacuum-formed ZX80 case project.

I truly enjoy the challenge. Plus, I'm pretty stubborn.

Now it's time to go see if the changes I made in my slicing software will do the trick. And I promise not to insist you change your name to Betty. That just ain't right, as we say down here.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz1rjq5emKY
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

mhudson52 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:23 pm Thanks, Moggy.

Like my 3K Ram Pack reproduction and ZXpand enclosures, sometimes I just have to do something because no one had ever done it before, as well as trying to fill a need amongst Zeddy owners. All the things you mentioned about the printer are indeed spot-on, but still this is something I feel to be worth my time and effort.

And I'm still working (at least mentally) on my vacuum-formed ZX80 case project.

I truly enjoy the challenge. Plus, I'm pretty stubborn.

Now it's time to go see if the changes I made in my slicing software will do the trick. And I promise not to insist you change your name to Betty. That just ain't right, as we say down here.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz1rjq5emKY
The 3k ram pack I have to say is a thing of rare beauty and please keep at it with the printer, Mike as I know there are quite a few interested folk this side of the water with belt-less printers and the ZX80 case is certainly of interest not just for making an old one look better but also to house the replica board projects that exist. :D

Best Regards

Betty. Moggy.
desiv

Post by desiv »

Just a bit of an update on where I am.
(Some of this is in my Composite mod thread)

I made a basic (just 1 transistor and 1 resistor) composite mod and at a basic level, it works!
I cut back the ribbon cable a tad and now all my keys are working.
The 16k RAM pack isn't working. When I plug it in, the TS1000 won't start. I'll look at that later. Could be lots of things. I am probably going to add 16k internal to this guy anyway, but might want to get it working with my ZX-81.

I successfully loaded 2 games!!!
1K Chess and a 1K breakout game.
I tried loading them from my laptop directly with WinTZX, but it didn't work. So then I used WinTZX to convert it to WAV and then playing them (using VideoLAN.. I don't have another media player installed other than Windows Media Player apparently).
I was able to get both to load!!!

When playing them, I had to adjust the vertical hold to keep the screen from rolling. Not sure if the games POP into 50Hz mode or if my monitor just didn't like whatever mode they are in. Also, they do have some bending at spots. I can't really read the top line on the breakout game (where the score is) and with 1k Chess, there is a bend right at the center of the screen. Again, could be the monitor, could be the screen mode, could be a 50hz/60hz thing.
Still playable, but noticeable.
If I just go into basic and fill the screen with text, it is all fine. No bending anywhere.
I can't get it to display on my LCD screens yet (probably will have to wait for a CX8-CCB for that) so not sure.
I have some other composite devices I can try it on as well. (Some more CRTs)

All in all, pretty happy with the success so far.
I have most (but not all) of the parts for a TZXDuino, so that will be on my list when my tiny amps show up. (And I have to see if I have a slower SD card around somewhere...)

I'm considering a TRACO to replace the 7805 voltage regulator. Not sure if I need to do that.

I am also probably going to use the channel 3/4 switch to change from 50hz/60hz default.

My ZX81 I haven't opened yet. I know it needs a new power jack, so I will need to order that. (As it is the same jack as the mic/ear, I might order several. Just in case.) It will definitely need a CX8-CCB or new ULA or something, as when I did test it and get it to display on the TV, the picture was much darker than the TS1000. So I am guessing it has an older ULA with no back porch.
When I get it working, I will try the 16k pack there. Let me know if I need to open that thing to fix it. (I can do basic soldering and replacing caps. Troubleshooting beyond that level is something I am working on still. ;-)

Anyway, so far so good. (I think)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Top marks on everything done so far. :D

But please replace the bloody regulator for the Traco one as you will remove 99.999999 (old ROM value) of the heat from the beasty which apart from being most desirable will help your newly trimmed keyboard ribbons stay healthy as the material they are made from tends to crack when exposed to many heat up cool down cycles.

Again great work.
desiv

Post by desiv »

Just a little update on where I am, although some of this was in other posts.

On my TS1000, I finally added in a ZX8-CCB to replace my ghetto mod (which worked, but wasn't great), and after some fumbling and assistance here, got it set up right and I'm getting a pretty great picture now.
I also finally did the 16k internal mod and that worked!
And while I was working on it, my keyboard membrane cracked again, so I cut it down a bit more, and while I was trying to carefully handle the end so it wouldn't crack as I reattached it, it cracked farther down. ;-) Oh well, I knew it was going to happen. I had already ordered a new membrane.
So my TS1000 has a new keyboard/membrane. Currently it is the UK layout. I have the US overlay, but I am sticking with the UK one for now.

Was finally able to try some 16k games! Impressive!!
Tho my hands/fingers aren't used the the cursor key layout for controlling things yet. ;-)

Not much movement on my US ZX81.
I haven't modded him at all... He's still RF and 1k.
I did play with the power jack and got a better connection there, so I was able to do a quick test on the CRT tv downstairs and saw the K!!!
I do think I should replace that power jack, but the ones I see on sellmyretro aren't shipping to the US, and the ones I saw on ebay appeared a bit expensive... So I'll wait a bit on that... Maybe it's something I can take apart and bend back to shape better??? I haven't looked...

I am thinking I probably won't mod the ZX81, keeping him original. I will order another keyboard membrane tho, to have as available.

I also haven't replaced the 7805 with anything yet... Considering that, especially if I think I will be using either one for more than a short period at a time...

As for peripherals, I do have both printers. I haven't tried either.
I have the ZXPrinter and it came with some rolls of the aluminum paper. I would imagine I will need a new belt for that.
I have the STL, but I have yet to print flexible on my 3D Printers. So I might try that later, or I might just order a new belt.

I also have the TS2040, which for the longest time I couldn't test because I didn't have any paper. But I recently found a couple of rolls on e-bay for a decent price. So I now have two rolls. Haven't tested him yet, but it's on the list.

I haven't looked at the 16k RAM pack yet.

Another project on the list is a TZXduino, as I have some arduinos around here... (Although my TS1000 is close enough to my main PC that playing files from there is pretty simple...)

On an side thought, I was looking up info on a Commodore PET (a computer I do NOT have) and thought the really basic sound mod that most owners apparently did for them was interesting. Just a resistor on one line on the parallel port that can be connected to an amp for sound.
I wondered why something simple like that wasn't done for the 81? I've seen mention of the Zon-X sound module, which I am sure creates much better sound, as it actually has a sound chip. ;-) But I would think something like the PET style would "fit" the ZX well... Wonder why that didn't happen/catch on... Just a rambling thought. ;-)

Thanx again for all your help!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

desiv wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:41 pm On an side thought, I was looking up info on a Commodore PET (a computer I do NOT have) and thought the really basic sound mod that most owners apparently did for them was interesting. Just a resistor on one line on the parallel port that can be connected to an amp for sound.
I wondered why something simple like that wasn't done for the 81? I've seen mention of the Zon-X sound module, which I am sure creates much better sound, as it actually has a sound chip. ;-) But I would think something like the PET style would "fit" the ZX well... Wonder why that didn't happen/catch on... Just a rambling thought. ;-)
The PET has a general purpose I/O chip with multiple input/output lines. The ZX81/TS1000 only has the ULA, and that only has a single output pin, which is used for both the video generation AND the cassette tape output (Mic) signal.

There have been some programs that have used the Mic output to produce sounds/sound effects. But you can’t have video and sound at the same time.

To do better, extra chips are needed.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
desiv

Post by desiv »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:02 pm To do better, extra chips are needed.
I wondered about that. Thanx!
desiv

Post by desiv »

Another little update... I did this yesterday/today:
ImageTZXduino breadboard by Desi Villaescusa, on Flickr

It's an Arduino Uno I had lying around, with a 16x2 LCD (a bit dim as I am running it off of 3.5v) and an inexpensive uSD card reader (which required 5v hence the dimmer LED) and 2 buttons on a little breadboard.
I alligator clipped the output wire to my mono 3.5mm jack plugged into the ZX81.

And, it worked!!!

I was actually sure it wouldn't. I "knew" I would need an amplifier (and I have some around somewhere, but can't find them). But then I hooked up a little piezo speaker just to make sure it was outputting sound, and it was, and.. It was kind of loud... Thought, hmmm.. I wonder if that is loud enough for the ZX81...

And it is...

Now to put it together into something more manageable.... ;-) (he says, looking at his Pi1541, that I put together a year or so ago, with the buttons and OLED still hanging off a breadboard) ;-)
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I made two custom shields. One for 7-segment display and one for buttons and 3.5mm jack to ZX81.

Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
jdfan1000

Post by jdfan1000 »

desiv wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:41 pm Not much movement on my US ZX81.
I haven't modded him at all... He's still RF and 1k.
I did play with the power jack and got a better connection there, so I was able to do a quick test on the CRT tv downstairs and saw the K!!!
I do think I should replace that power jack, but the ones I see on sellmyretro aren't shipping to the US, and the ones I saw on ebay appeared a bit expensive... So I'll wait a bit on that... Maybe it's something I can take apart and bend back to shape better??? I haven't looked...
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I have some NOS parts that'll work (from Timex). I'll check my parts bin tonight and let you know.
My archive.org collection, containing many Timex/Sinclair related publications.

TimexSinclair.com, my website about Sinclair computers in the US.