Hello from Oregon, USA

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
jpwoods

Hello from Oregon, USA

Post by jpwoods »

Hi all,

I was very surprised to find this forum and even more surprised to see that it was still active. My very first computer was a ZX81 that I soldered together from the kit! It had a whopping 2K of RAM lol. The first time I powered it up after soldering it together, there was nothing. I was so disappointed that I almost cried. However, after thinking a bit I started looking for a possible solder bridge and finally found a tiny one between two pins. I corrected that and VOILA! The power of that little tiny computer was (and still is) mind-bogling. I even had a working speech-recognition program on it. I still have it and a Spectrum 2000 currently in boxes in my garage along with the tape player and programs on tapes. The ZX81 has an external keyboard I put on it, the 64K RAM module and the printer. One of these days soon I will dig them out and see what happens. I'm pretty sure I'll have to put a RCA jack on it since I no longer have the UHF TV that I used back in the day. Just a bit of nostalgia from me LOL.
dr beep

Re: Hello from Oregon, USA

Post by dr beep »

Welcome,

I think it is interesting how a 64K RAM would work since the first 8K is ROM.
The only way to access 64K would therefore be bankswitching.

Furthermore, read the forum and find out what is done with that tiny machine.
From ZXPAND to modern lowres games to games developped in C and compiled in Z80-code.

Johan "Dr Beep" Koelman
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Welcome!
dessony

Post by dessony »

Welcome to this computer forum! I want to make you, as an American, feel comfortable from an American. I am from Indiana, USA. :-)
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Welcome to the forums - it is hard to think that in 2008/2009 there was hardly any discussion online about the ZX81 at all (hence why I set these forums up)!!