New member, would like to use my old zx81 with a computer monitor, how can I do it ?

Introduce yourself to your fellow forum members - what was your journey into the Sinclair world?
peepee

New member, would like to use my old zx81 with a computer monitor, how can I do it ?

Post by peepee »

I would like to use my old zx81 with a computer monitor, how can I do it ? any advice would be appreciated. thanks.
RetroTechie

Re: New member, would like to use my old zx81 with a computer monitor, how can I do it ?

Post by RetroTechie »

Welcome to this forum, peepee! :)

The ZX81 outputs an RF signal, which means you need a TV.

Another option is a small modification to the ZX81, which makes it output composite video. An example can be found here: http://www.zx81.de/english/video_e.htm
At which point any TV or monitor with a composite video input will do. That is also: any SCART input equipped TV, and some computer monitors also have a comp.video input.

For example a cheapo VGA monitor won't work. Well, unless you put some screen-grabbing-converter-thingie in between. Which also exist... :?
peepee

Re: New member, would like to use my old zx81 with a computer monitor, how can I do it ?

Post by peepee »

Thanks RetroTechie,
I think I will try to find an old 625 line tv, one of the old small portable would do, I haven't got room for the big oldies.
I have several other Spectrum models which I would like to check if they are still in working order, I didn't want to modify my zx81 as I'm a bit of a collector and I like things to be original, I was just hoping there was an add-on gadget I could find or a circuit I could build !!!
Thank you for your information, I have made a copy of it, and will let you know how I get on. peepee.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

best is to try and get an old black & white set, as these normally work well with a zx81 or zx80, unlike most colour TVs, as the zx80 and some zx81s dont generate the 'back porch' part of the TV signal. as for driving VGA monitors, i have seen in mentioned somewhere that SOME (LCD types only?) can handle a normal TV-like signal, such as 15.625khz line, 50hz frame, which is of course what a zx81(UK type) outputs, but circuitry would still be required to get a composite out from the zx81 and then sync separator for the monitor (Maplin 'used' to sell one of these 'cables' , at high price, but not now..?)
peepee

Post by peepee »

Thanks gozzo,
you are right about the old black and white tv's best for the zx81, I relegated mine to the tip years ago, clang, glang. now I've got to find another, but its got to be a small portable. You never know what might come up for sale in the local auctions, or car boot sales.
Thanks for your help. regards, peepee.
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

I see a fair few of the little 5 inch things at car boot sales round here, even if they are not big enough, may be possible to use the innards as a 'receiver/demodulator', tapping off the video signal to feed into a modern horrid digital based thing!i have come across a sync processor chip used in old analogue Pace satellite receivers , it can generate correct sync pulses even when the video signal its fed with drops out, so that could be used to keep up a signal preventing 'blue screen' on the tv, and fill in the missing back porch!
-B-

Post by -B- »

I would go for the composite modification. Then you have an easy connection to most TVs...

Then you could also use something like this to get from composite to VGA...

-B-
peepee

Post by peepee »

Thanks for the photo's, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, it does explain a lot.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome on board Peepee!

:D :D :D

Please do have a good look around. There is still plenty going on in the ZX World 8-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.