Diagnostic Card

amateus

Diagnostic Card

Post by amateus »

Hi All,

Searching for a diagnostic card. Whats the best out out there? I'm interested one that supports all zx models, and if possible some clones as well, as the portuguese timex 2048.

Thanks.
1024MAK

Re: Diagnostic Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Not sure about the clones or the Timex 2048 or similar, as some Timex models use a different edge-connector pin-out compared to the ZX Spectrum.

Most of the diagnostic cards are copies or variants, of the original detailed on this web site.

However, a diagnostic ROM can be run from any expansion card that can either take a physical ROM (EPROM/EEPROM/flash ROM) chip, or any memory that can act like a ROM. And there are various different diagnostic ROMs available.

I’m not sure which one is best, because they all are slightly different, and how well they work depends on the actual fault.

The diagnostic cards that include LEDs can give you information if the screen is unreadable. But not all the diagnostic ROMs support driving the LEDs.

The original diagnostic ROM on the site I linked to earlier does support the LEDs, as does this much improved version

The other major modern diagnostic ROM is described here.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
amateus

Re: Diagnostic Card

Post by amateus »

Thanks Mark,

I'll see if I can buy one from retroleum or bytedelight.

Thank you once again :)