Zx Spectrum 128k +2 (SCART to VGA or HDMi)

1024MAK

Re: Zx Spectrum 128k +2 (SCART to VGA or HDMi)

Post by 1024MAK »

mikeh_nz wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:35 am ZX-HD <snip>
It connects to the edge connector and I believe eavesdrops on writes to screen memory. It keeps its own internal screen buffer and then just renders it to the screen.
It does. Both this and the Spectra (SCART interface plus various other functions) ignore the output from the existing video system (ULA/gate array) and instead implement their own video system. Every time the processor writes to the screen memory area (which on the ZX Spectrum range is in the same area) they capture the data from the data bus on the edge-connector/expansion port. Hence they have the display data as digital information.

Using the digital display data, they can then process it however they like and hence can output new sharp video streams. This is a much better method than sampling the original output from the ULA, or worse, the composite video signal.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Flatulentia

Post by Flatulentia »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:58 pm Using the digital display data, they can then process it however they like and hence can output new sharp video streams. This is a much better method than sampling the original output from the ULA, or worse, the composite video signal.
From a purely technical perspective, this is clearly the best way of doing it, but it's also over 20 times more expensive than the cheapest alternatives. I guess it depends on whether a person wants the output to look like it's come straight from an emulator or from the real thing.

Assuming I've not bought a duffer on eBay, I'll be experimenting with a +2 when it arrives to see just how clean and crisp it's possible to get the output with all of the known composite clean-up mods (which I'll be doing anyway) plus one of my own mods and a £4 MINI AV2HDMI converter.

It'll probably end up installed internally if I'm happy with it, so that'll be one less external device to deal with.

It's a similar argument to CD vs vinyl. Anyone who knows their stuff knows that CD is vastly superior, but vinyl can still sound "nice". :D
ZX81 with ZiLOG Z84 CMOS Z80, 32KB battery-backed Toshiba 55257 SRAM with charge status LED, Wilf's "Why Wait?" mod and switch-mode 5V regulator. 50/60Hz mode switch, composite video output with Zigg's back porch mod and 1080p60 HDMI output.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Well, for the 128K models (toastrack, +2 grey, +2A, +2B, +3, +3B), the RGB output is more than good enough for a nice crisp display on a RGB SCART TV, or on a monitor that accepts the signals from the Speccy.

Some standards converters will work with the RGB signals (once some resistors have converted it to “analogue” RGB levels.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Flatulentia

Post by Flatulentia »

And that's the crux of the problem. I'd love to use RGB, but I'm in the same boat as millions of others with no choice but to use either a UHF TV signal, DVI or HDMI as none of my displays support anything else.

I've looked at several converters on eBay and Amazon for around £30 that clearly state "RGB to HDMI" when what they actually support is YCbCr to HDMI using red, green and blue RCA sockets.

It makes me wonder how many people have boxes full of completely useless converters under their beds because they can't be bothered to keep sending them back. :lol:
ZX81 with ZiLOG Z84 CMOS Z80, 32KB battery-backed Toshiba 55257 SRAM with charge status LED, Wilf's "Why Wait?" mod and switch-mode 5V regulator. 50/60Hz mode switch, composite video output with Zigg's back porch mod and 1080p60 HDMI output.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Well, that gets us back to the “RGB to HDMI using a Pi Zero and a small CPLD project” which is known to work…

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Flatulentia

Post by Flatulentia »

...and costs twice as much ready built as I paid for the +2. :lol:
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

I have bought several TVs from charity shops as they tend to be older and support RGB SCART.

They have all been less than a converter and of course you are helping a good cause.
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
mikeh_nz

Post by mikeh_nz »

If you have a computer with RGB output, then a monitor with SCART input is totally fine.

I started out trying to get my Beeb’s RGB output on something. With no SCART TVs here in the USA, I ended up looking at Sharp LCD TVs with SCART on Amazon UK. But, at £150 +shipping to USA, it was much more economical to go the “RGB to HDMI” route.

It’s all relative costs I guess. I’m jealous of the ability to go into a charity shop and find this stuff. I love Lardo’s idea.
Flatulentia

Post by Flatulentia »

mikeh_nz wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:17 pm I love Lardo’s idea.
Me too. That's exactly what I'd do if I had room for one. It looks like I'll just have to settle for composite to HDMI.

That's not necessarily terrible though. I was watching this video last night to see just how good it's possible to get the composite video looking if you're handy with a soldering iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMKGIP5Yuqs

It's never going to be perfect, but it's an enormous improvement over the standard composite video output.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Did yo know this?
https://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4283
Pico based RGB to VGA for QL at nearly no cost.
Also capable of spectrum video.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.