Enter key repeatedly being pressed

daniel_dlds

Enter key repeatedly being pressed

Post by daniel_dlds »

Hello,

I have a ZX spectrum+ that I use as my daily driver for games. Some weeks ago, was the last time I used it.
This week I came back to it (it is sitting on a desk I didn't move it), and powered it on.
Now it keeps entering what seems to be the space bar character repeatedly.
Seems that the problem may be the membrane, because I disconnected the keyboard and it stopped doing that.
Has anyone faced a similar problem ?
How can a membrane go bust in a few weeks ?

Thanks,
Regards
RWAP

Re: Enter key repeatedly being pressed

Post by RWAP »

It depends how old the membrane is, type of membrane, type of Spectrum+ etc...

It is unlikely to be the membrane at fault IF the key is working. However, there are various reasons:

Repeated keys can frequently appear if you have a membrane with an original Samsung membrane or a later one sod by me (RWAP Software) - the membrane is thinner to make it much more responsive. However, that means it can short where the tails pass over the top of the TV modulator and/or heat sink. Samsung added a small piece of felt to prevent this, I recommend a piece of electrical tape. The felt / tape may have falled off or disintegrated.

THe other cause could be the rubber mat which sits under the keys and acts as a natural spring to push the keys back up. These can become dry with age, or even fail in which case, the space bar is not being pushed back up after use. Normally washing them and then rubbing them in your hands to add some natural oils helps.

Finally, is the space bar slightly out of alignment and caught in some way?
daniel_dlds

Re: Enter key repeatedly being pressed

Post by daniel_dlds »

The membrane I have on it is a modern one. I think I bought it on ZX renew a couple of years ago. I have a spare membrane on another zx spectrum+ case that only has the keyboard I will attempt to swap the top cases to see if the problem is not the board.

But with the one that is currently installed, if I slightly lift the top of the case the key stops repeating.