Trying to restore a Spectrum 48!

lzyengn

Trying to restore a Spectrum 48!

Post by lzyengn »

Hello! I recently got my hands on a Spectrum 48, issue 4B. It's a pretty beat-up looking machine, must have seen heavy use. The keyboard connectors were broken, wasn't connected at all. The VR was also broken (the pins had broken off near the pads). I replaced the VR, and now the speccy turns on. The screen shows a weird pattern though, I need some help in figuring this out. I think there are some recognizable characters like "B" and "R" and "K" in the pattern, and the pink vertical lines between the character lines blink. Where should I begin to check this issue?

Greatly appreciate any help with this, I do want to get it working!

private image upload
Lardo Boffin

Re: Trying to restore a Spectrum 48!

Post by Lardo Boffin »

There are a few quick checks here but I’m not sure what you are seeing is in here:

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/feature ... nja-style/

Doubtless one of the hardware gurus will be along shortly.

There is also a welcome area to say hi! viewforum.php?f=22
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
lzyengn

Re: Trying to restore a Spectrum 48!

Post by lzyengn »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:02 am There are a few quick checks here but I’m not sure what you are seeing is in here:

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/feature ... nja-style/
Yup I did go through this, but am having a tough time understanding the part about the ULA's interpretation of the memory attribute data. Is there a way to figure out what could be the most probable failed ICs? The patterns on this page and the one I am seeing doesn't seem to even somewhat resemble.
Lardo Boffin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:02 am Doubtless one of the hardware gurus will be along shortly.

There is also a welcome area to say hi! viewforum.php?f=22
I dropped a note on the welcome group, good to be here :) Hope to get some leads from the veterans here!