What do I use for a screen for my zx spectrum

tiger123

What do I use for a screen for my zx spectrum

Post by tiger123 »

I am awaiting delivery of a spectrum computer from ebay but I cannot remember if it comes with a built in screen.Years ago I had a sinclair spectrum computer this was more than 20 years ago, I am an old man now my memories not as good as it was, I cant remember what I used for a screen back then so can anyone tell me what I will need.
1024MAK

Re: What do I use for a screen for my zx spectrum

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello

I’ve moved your topic into the ZX Spectrum Hardware area of the forum.

The general Hardware area is for ZX80/ZX81/TS1000/TS1500 and other similar models, compatibles and clones.

To answer your question, no original ZX Spectrum computers had built in screens or displays. The ZX Spectrum 16K, 48K and ZX Spectrum+ models connected to an ‘ordinary’ domestic television set via it’s aerial input (RF/UHF). You need a special lead with a phono/RCA plug on one end, and a (normal for the U.K.) aerial plug on the other end (assuming you are in the U.K.).

We normally recommend that an old CRT TV (they type with the large, heavy glass screen) is used. Some modern flatscreen LCD types (including so called LED types) are not very good at locking on/tuning in or showing the video output from these old computers.

The ZX Spectrum 128 and the Amstrad produced models (+2, +2A, +2B, +3) have a dedicated monitor port, but the wiring and signal levels are not consistent between the different models. There are ready made cables available from eBay so that you can use a suitable TV that has a RGB SCART socket/input. But not all modern TVs work.

Some owners of ZX Spectrum 16K, 48K or ZX Spectrum+ models have carried out a simple modification to convert the existing RF/UHF/aerial output and make it a composite video output instead.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
zx-heinz

Post by zx-heinz »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:59 pm to convert the existing RF/UHF/aerial output and make it a composite video output instead.
..or even simultaneously.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

or place an old VCR between Spectrum and TV