I broke my spectrum - issue 2 board

Spurtus

I broke my spectrum - issue 2 board

Post by Spurtus »

Hi

Fixing up broken Spectrums - at least that was my plan - got an 'issue 2' Speccy working last night after much time of enjoying the life that it had I managed to short circuit something on the board with my multi-mete.

Now all I've got is static on the RF video out...

I wasn't aware of which component I touched when it gave up - but I guess I've learnt a lesson - I didn't realise they would be so sensitive! :(

Any ideas what I could possibly have fried? - voltages OK on 7805 voltages regulator & RAM.

Best Regards,
Spurtus.
1024MAK

Re: Introducing myself - I broke my spectrum

Post by 1024MAK »

Apart from a multimeter, do you have, or have access to any other test gear?

You say that the power supply voltages are okay, could you be mores specific, are all these all okay: +5V, +12V, +12VA, -5V?

If you use a piece of thin solid core wire, e.g. from a network cable, or from a telephone cable (not the flexible cord) with the insulation stripped off the ends (about 5mm), and connect briefly a couple of times between any contact in the left hand keyboard connector (KB1) and any contact in the right hand keyboard connector (KB2), do you get a key click from the loud speaker?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.