Spectrum Fast Loading via iPod etc.

Lardo Boffin

Spectrum Fast Loading via iPod etc.

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Having had a go at this process (e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/stiggybl ... phone/amp/) I managed to get it to work with the original cassette cables that came with my Spectrum but only by very careful placement of the mono jack in a stereo socket. I suspect long term this is not a good idea and therefore a more appropriate cable is required.

I recently got a +3 and cassette cable for it, I have the following:-

FDC5E428-B5E0-42E4-8C5F-74480B4747F2.jpeg

This has two mono jacks and a single stereo (I assume) jack. I was wondering if anyone was aware of the internals of this and therefore whether I could safely put the stereo jack in my Macbook head phone socket and one of the mono jacks in the Spectrum (etc.) to load from the .wav file playback?

Merry Christmas!!!
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
1024MAK

Re: Spectrum Fast Loading via iPod etc.

Post by 1024MAK »

The tip of the “stereo” jack plug should go to the tip of one of the mono jack plugs.
The ring of the “stereo” jack plug should go to the tip of the other mono jack plug.
The sleeve of the “stereo” jack plug should go to the sleeve of both of the mono jack plugs.

You can test the above with a multimeter.

If the above is true, then yes, you can put the stereo jack plug in your Mac and one of the mono jack plugs into a ZX81, or ZX Spectrum etc. If the Mac outputs the same signal on both the left and right stereo channels, then it does not matter which mono jack you use. Otherwise try each until the computer hears a tape signal...

For more on jack plugs, see also here ;)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.