Faint thin vertical black lines on screen 48K

cjba100

Faint thin vertical black lines on screen 48K

Post by cjba100 »

Dear All,

I'm successfully resurrecting my old 48K Spectrum. So far I've done a simple Video Mod, and replaced the keyboard membrane and the voltage regulator. The only slight thing left to do is sort these faint black lines on the screen. Any thoughts as to what might be causing them? And is the chirping noise/whistling noise likely to be the coil? Does that need replacing, or does it not really matter?

With many thanks,

Christopher (Worcester, UK)
Attachments
IMG_20160719_140631377.jpg
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 373 times
IMG_20160719_140626268.jpg
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 373 times
1024MAK

Re: Faint thin vertical black lines on screen 48K

Post by 1024MAK »

cjba100 wrote:Dear All,

I'm successfully resurrecting my old 48K Spectrum. So far I've done a simple Video Mod, and replaced the keyboard membrane and the voltage regulator. The only slight thing left to do is sort these faint black lines on the screen. Any thoughts as to what might be causing them? And is the chirping noise/whistling noise likely to be the coil? Does that need replacing, or does it not really matter?

With many thanks,

Christopher (Worcester, UK)
Hello and welcome Christopher :D

The vertical faint black lines on the screen are not unusual on a Spectrum. In most machines, they can be reduced by replacing some capacitors. Have you renewed the electrolytic capacitors yet?

The whistling noise does indeed come from the "coil". This is actually a pulse transformer and it forms part of a DC to AC to DC converter. The noise is normal. Parts of the coil vibrate, that's what you can hear, as the frequency is in the audio range. The issue 1 and 2 boards were rather loud. The later issue boards had coils that were quieter.

Which issue number is your board?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
cjba100

Post by cjba100 »

It's a 3B board.

No, I haven't replaced any capacitors yet. That's the next little project I think...

Christopher
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Right, well before you order new capacitors, I will remind myself about my advice on the non-electrolytically that help with the lines.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

1024MAK wrote:The whistling noise does indeed come from the "coil". This is actually a pulse transformer and it forms part of a DC to AC to DC converter. The noise is normal. Parts of the coil vibrate, that's what you can hear, as the frequency is in the audio range.
Explained in greater detail here.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!