48K-KDLX - ZX Spectrum 48k keyboard w. smd tactile switches

PokeMon

Re: 48K-KDLX - ZX Spectrum 48k keyboard w. smd tactile switc

Post by PokeMon »

yerzmyey wrote:Hmm, there is too much on the profile. I'm totally confuse what is what.

What is better, Pokemon - the mat (along with the normal rubber keyboard) or the standard membrane?
What does work better? What will "live" longer?
Sorry for confusing information.
Yes, they are available as boards, sets (assembly kits) and complete keyboards in two versions.

So in the moment I would prefer the 48K-KDLXS with the printed cover (membrane) and the tactile switches (the one you see in the picture you linked).

There is no really experience in long life in reality but this should last forever, hopefully.
The switches are 500.000 keypresses (each switch) - not 100% sure about the printed cover with mechanical stress.
Anyway I can promise that you really have a nice keyboard type feeling and very easy to type. I love it.
And it depends on how much you type - just pressing LOAD and use the joystick or if you do quite more.

About the rubber mat version - I did some tests with the rubber mat and the 48K-KDLXS as well and this would be even better than the 48K-KDLXR but this comes with a price - it is a bit to high for the face place. So I am thinking of maybe producing a second, very small board with 0,6 or 0,4 mm height which would fit better into the case with the higher ALPS switches and the printed cover on it and then the rubber mat and faceplate.

But not decided 100% now - depends on the sale of the other boards (48K-KDLXS) as well a bit or the general interest in a "longlife keyboard" for the rubbber mat. We will see ... 8-)
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Hmmm, OK.
It's still a most interesting and crazy idea :) and I would be grateful - although I realize it takes some time - if You could show here all the ready-versions of the keyboards, with photos, name and prices.
I would copy the stuff into one of our forums, and also I could use it privately, to check out what can I buy ;) (if not at the moment, then in forthcoming months).
Regards,
Y

PS: I wonder what would be the best glue to put it there. I mean - it must be kinda strong because it must be steady. On the other hand, supposedly the keyboards will not last forever, so maybe it shouldn't be any SUPER-glue? ;)
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

There are 2 versions existing (all available as mounted version, assembly kit or the PCB only).
Available at sellmyretro. ;)
http://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/PokeMon

48K-KDLXR for use with the rubber mat (placed under the rubber mat):

48K-KDLXS as complete keyboard without rubber mat/faceplate:

Nikolay

Post by Nikolay »

Could you post the keyboard working files?
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

You can buy the boards or complete kits here:
http://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/PokeMon
Nikolay

Post by Nikolay »

Thank you, I wanted to do on their own.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

After several month sold out and due to still user requests for the 48k keyboard pcb version, I decided to make a series of new boards. The pcb is modified now and 1/3 thinner (now 0.8mm instead of 1.2mm) but will have the same or even better stability by making it on 2 layers and wide copper areas giving more stability and less flexibility in comparison to the first single sided version.
backside.jpg
backside.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 11385 times
There are still both versions available, the standalone version with printed membrane on it and the version to use with the original rubber mate of the 16/48k spectrum in the original case. The thinner board will let the cover (faceplate) better close and the smd tactile switches used are the same as for the standalone version or the ZX8-KDLX (for ZX81). This will give a better type of feeling as well. First I was afraid that the ALPS tactile switches could lose its position under the rubber keys (the middle of the cross inside every key) - but there are many noses which hold all keys straight in position and this works very well and give a better feedback when using the keyboard while less force is needed to press the keys.

So stay tuned - in approx. 2-3 weeks it should be available.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

So the 48K-KDLX keyboards are available again in both versions:
* 48K-KDLXR for use with/under the rubber mat and faceplate
* 48K-KDLXS as standalone version or to use with a 16K/48K ZX Spectrum or Harlequin clone without rubber mat / faceplate

The new board looks and feels very good and is from higher quality and much thinner (0.8mm instead of 1.2mm). But it is same stable like the previous version due to much more copper areas on both sides (now double sided pcb, was single sided before) and this gives a brighter "black" look. The rubber mat version is now used with the same low force tactile switches from ALPS (SKQG series) and is no difference to a keyboard membrane, I would say. Same responsiveness and the case closes better due to lower height.

Now available at
http://www.sellmyretro.com/user/profile/PokeMon/

IMG_8854k.JPG
IMG_8854k.JPG (173.21 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
IMG_8856k.JPG
IMG_8856k.JPG (119.35 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
IMG_8860k.JPG
IMG_8860k.JPG (199.44 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
Last edited by PokeMon on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

IMG_8865k.JPG
IMG_8865k.JPG (91 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
IMG_8863kk.JPG
IMG_8863kk.JPG (148.18 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Very nice work indeed, Karl.