Converting TAP to WAV files for Spectrum

egrabczewski

Converting TAP to WAV files for Spectrum

Post by egrabczewski »

I've recently built the zxtap2wav command for various systems (Windows, Linux, Mac) which you can download here:

http://thesoundmanifesto.co.uk/downloads/zxtap2wav.zip

It's password protected so just message me for the password.

I've tried it on ZX Spectrum LOGO and recorded a cassette tape using the resulting audio WAV file (using Audition). The cassette load perfectly on an original ZX Spectum with rubber keyboard but wouldn't load on my ZX Spectrum +3.
Andy Rea

Re: Converting TAP to WAV files for Spectrum

Post by Andy Rea »

is it possible that that particular program does not work on a +3 there are some incompatiblities.

regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The ZX Spectrum +3 may need an audio source with a louder signal. Often an amplifier is needed.

Also note that although the socket on the +3 is a two channel “stereo’ 3.5mm type, one channel is tape/sound out, the other channel being the input from the cassette tape.

So either a special cable is needed, or use a 3.5mm “stereo” jack socket to two mono connectors (e.g. Phono/RCA), then another suitable cable to your audio source (PC for example). With only one of the mono connectors linking the two being connected.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

@Andy Rea: yes, some software would not work on +3 series due to lack of the floating bus in this model.
Claudius
----------
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

McKlaud wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:23 pm @Andy Rea: yes, some software would not work on +3 series due to lack of the floating bus in this model.
There is a bodge fix for this problem. But the lack of a “floating bus” will not prevent loading.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
egrabczewski

Post by egrabczewski »

I was having problems loading micro-PROLOG and Spectrum FORTH recently but I've noticed that either increasing the volume (PROLOG) or reading the instructions in the manual (LOGO) where I should have been typing LOAD "" CODE and not just LOAD "" , solved my problems. I think I also have a dodgy audio connection which needs a bit of wiggling to get it to work.

By the way, I've just found another tool called "castool" that converts TZX files to WAV as well as a host of other conversions. I'll put up a post about it. So far I've only downloaded the macOS version of the code (see source website: https://www.mamedev.org/). Here's a list of all the conversions it can do!!:

https://docs.mamedev.org/tools/castool. ... l-for-mame
Sinclairs-great

Post by Sinclairs-great »

Hello
I see your good at programmes or files . I have a Sinclair zx spectrum vega could you tell me how to download zx spectrum games from sites on the net to a micro sd card to play on the vega .I mean do I need a zip file to open them . I use a android . Do I need a bigger pc. I download them but when I try to open them it says " can't open file" . Do I have to buy a certain zip file or what do I buy ?
Eldenno

Post by Eldenno »

Hi there, this is Denis from the Netherlands, I would like to have the password for the zip file to convert Tap files to Wav

Thanks in advance, Best regards
krap

Post by krap »

Hi!

Can I have the password please?
Sorry for a public post, I do not see the option to PM you.

--
mg
SKuRGe911

Post by SKuRGe911 »

Hi! could i have the password please. I'm sorry but it wont let me make private messages yet.