Lambda 8300 / Your Computer.

jesperp

Re: Lambda 8300 / Your Computer.

Post by jesperp »

Hi again

Partly success:
Now "datasound" is comming into laptop this way: Lambda 8300-MIC-jack plug mono -> jack plug stereo - laptop soundcard MIC input - PC Software "WawePad".
The level recorded is relatively low, nevertheless input amplifier is tuned to max.

No success with LOAD"" via EAR, yet - i think quality is too low.
Any suggestions before getting an "good old" casette recorder?

Greetings from a hot and rainy Denmark
Last edited by jesperp on Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I use a TZXduino. I've build my own shield for an Arduino, and it has SD card and two buttons. Just make sure, the output level 0V and 5V for the pulses. Then it will load fine into the Lambda 8300 or a ZX81.

I have not succeeded to save programs, as the voltage is much lower, and the TZXduino does not support save.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Jesper,

Keep in mind that these computers (ZX80, ZX81 and “clones” like the Lambda 8300 / Your Computer) were all designed for use with shoe box style mono cassette decks. These are capable of much higher volume outputs than modern PCs (which have their audio outputs limited).

So you many need to use an audio amplifier connected to the output from the PC / laptop to boost the signal level.

Some PC speakers with a headphone output or a mono audio amplifier module.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

Hi Mark

Yes, i remember the ractangular casette recorders we used to save/load the Marathon 32K with.
I think you are right, about the signal levels.
I found an 10 years old dictaphone with MIC in, and EAR out - i will give it a shot tomorrow.
In case of no success - i will find me a “shoebox”.
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Yeah, maybe something like this will work. But there’s no guarantee it will record the low volume and play back higher volume.

8GB 3in 1 Mini USB Flash Disk Drive Digital Audio Voice Recorder 650Hr Dictaphone 3D Stereo MP3 Player

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO3zHJM
Martin
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

Hi

The dictaphone (Olympus LS-3) is actually capable recording the relative weak signal, but with a little background noise. It sounds as i remember a valid data sound. (Very objective....i know)
After several tests with different recording/replay settings, into the EAR plug - with the Lambda 8300 in LOAD"" mode, Lambda 8300 appears not to accept the incoming signal on pin 2 (ULA).

I did some scope screen shots, but with explaining text in Danish, should be understandable anyway.
I have attached the "scope document" with this reply.

Can anyone supply me with a valid sound file, so i am able to feed it into EAR plug, to validate my Lambda 8300 Ear input-port?
Attachments
YourComputer Scope billeder MIC EAR og Pin 2 og pin 35.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 172 times
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

Hi all

I purchased a shoebox tape cassette recorder, and made several attempts to SAVE/LOAD from/to the Lambda - absolutely no luck at all!

As Martin wrote earlier in this thread:
"I have not succeeded to save programs, as the voltage is much lower, and the TZXduino does not support save."
So, for now, i will stop pursuing the ability to SAVE code from the Lambda.

As i am not going to write a lot of code directly into the Lambda, the SAVE function have minor importance to me.
But loading code into the Lambda somehow would be nice, but how?

One way is TZXduino, but apparently no PCB is produced anymore?
Could another solution be the emulator EightyOne?
Is it possible to transfer programs from EightyOne to the Lambda, from PC soundcard into the Lambda EAR input?
Best regards
Jesper Petersen
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

jesperp wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:26 am Could another solution be the emulator EightyOne?
Is it possible to transfer programs from EightyOne to the Lambda, from PC soundcard into the Lambda EAR input?
It is certainly possible with some emulators to output “loading sounds” to the “retro” computer. But I don’t know if EightyOne can do this.

One problem with any modern audio device, including laptops and PCs, is that the volume level is not high enough. So an external audio amplifier is needed.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

jesperp wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:26 am One way is TZXduino, but apparently no PCB is produced anymore?
A quick search on eBay lists 12 replies for TZXduino.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... o&_sacat=0

There are both cheap assembled devices and raw PCBs.
Martin
jesperp

Post by jesperp »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:32 pm
jesperp wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:26 am Could another solution be the emulator EightyOne?
It is certainly possible with some emulators to output “loading sounds” to the “retro” computer. But I don’t know if EightyOne can do this.

One problem with any modern audio device, including laptops and PCs, is that the volume level is not high enough. So an external audio amplifier is needed.

Mark
Hi Mark

Just made a wav-file within EightyOne.
This weekend i will try to load it into the Lambda via PC soundcard.
Will reply with the result.
Best regards
Jesper Petersen