BASIC source code, maybe

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
jdfan1000

BASIC source code, maybe

Post by jdfan1000 »

Hi all,

I have been working for a number of years documenting the American side of the Sinclair world (see timexsinclair.com). I also host twice-a-month Zoom meetings for folks interested in the Timex versions.

Last year, Lon Hildreth, one of the software engineers who worked on the TS 2068, joined our Zoom meeting and showed us a pile of documents he'd saved when Timex closed up shop. A few months ago, Lon agreed to loan the documents to me for archiving.

In the Zoom meeting, Lon mostly recalled his work on porting CP/M to the Timex. Scanning the documents he sent revealed that he had a bit more of a hand in the Timex ROMs, too, as well as working on the TS 2060 Bank Expansion Unit (BEU).

Among the documents Lon had were photocopies of printouts from their Zilog development system. Timex used the same system as Nine Tiles did in developing the Sinclair ROMs.

Obviously, to develop the new ROMs, the folks at Timex needed to know what the heck was going on in the Spectrum. They had some help from Ian Logan (Scott McCourt, who managed Lon and several others, brought him over for a couple weeks to do some work/training). Until now, though, the rest has been a mystery.

With that background, I share these docs:
ZX Spectrum ROM Assembly code - the first block of code is labeled "Tables for Prototype" (which could mean the TS2000 or the Spectrum prototype) and dated 11/23/1982_TCC (TCC is Timex Computer Corp, which suggests the prototype in question was the 2000). The handwritten notes on the document are Lon's.
IF1 Interface ROM Assembly - I suspect this has been documented elsewhere, but this is Lon's copy and has his annotations.
Timex/Sinclair 2000 System Software Home Bank - of greater interest to me and my Timex pals, this is the HOME ROM for the 2068.
Timex/Sinclair 2000 System Software Home ROM Extension - the source code for the Extension ROM (EXROM)

There are lots of other interesting documents but I figured y'all would like to know about the potential source code for the ZX Spectrum ROM.

I've tried multiple times to create an account on the WOS Forums but I can't get it activated or whatever, so posting here. Maybe someone here can share there?

Best,
David
My archive.org collection, containing many Timex/Sinclair related publications.

TimexSinclair.com, my website about Sinclair computers in the US.
Spinnetti

Re: BASIC source code, maybe

Post by Spinnetti »

Cool, thanks...

I've got em all pretty much now, but TS1000 was my first computer here in the US, and the one I like programming for the most, though my 2nd computer was the quickly orphaned TS2068
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+,Printer
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
1024MAK

Re: BASIC source code, maybe

Post by 1024MAK »

David, I've sent you a PM.

Thank you very much for posting this very interesting information and documents :D 8-)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.