Microdigital TK-85 replica!

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
YanKleber

Microdigital TK-85 replica!

Post by YanKleber »

This computer have a special meaning for me because it was the VERY FIRST computer I owned in my whole life and represents the beginning of everything.

For whose don't know it is the version of the Timex Sinclair 1500 that was commercialized in Brasil in the 1980s by a domestic company called Microdigital. It was not a pirated version, instead it was born from an agreement between Microdigital and the original owners of the patent. It came in two versions (16 and 48K). Mine was the 16K one and there is a small history behind it.

The year was 1982 and so far I never have had any contact with computers. I was 16 by then. We came to the house of a friend of my parents and getting there he had a TK-82c (the Brazilian version of the TS-1000) and while they were there drinking and talking I spent a few hours playing and messing with that puzzling thing. When we went for home I decided that I wanted one. Of course my parents called that "an expensive toy" that I would play with for a couple days before to forget forever. So they said "Nope, we won't give it to you.". :( But I REALLY wanted that thing so I sold my bicycle and went to the store to buy it. Curiously my dad and my mom came with me to the store (I have no idea why) and getting there I figured that my money was enough to buy the TK-82c but not for the 16K expansion (it came with only 2K internal). Then there was the newcomer TK-85 with a "true" chiclet keyboard and already 16K of RAM internal but my money didn't get even close to be enough to buy it. Long history short, magically my parents decided to "complete" my money and then I happily came back home with the TK-85! Since then I never stopped to love computers!

This replica was made out of MDF, EVA, PE and paper. Enjoy! :)

Living the dream...