Timex Sinclair 2048 replica!

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
YanKleber

Timex Sinclair 2048 replica!

Post by YanKleber »

One more replica for my collection...

In fact I never intended to make a replica of the 2048 and it just "happened".

How's that? Well, I had just started to make my TS-2068 replica putting together some MDF pieces that I with my jigsaw when I decided that I wanted something more "elaborated". I then ordered new parts for the 2068 from an online MDF CNC cutting service.

So the first version of the 2068 carcass ended laying around for some time until I find it one of these days and think that I could recycle it for something else. It didn't long too much to see that I could easily turn it into a 2048. My only mistake was to rely on my perception and guess that the 2048 was a "shortened in length" 2068. Only after I finish the project I realized that actually the 2048 is also smaller than the 2068 in WIDTH! So my 2048 replica became a bit odd since the top side ended being wider than the original. Unfortunately when I got what had happened it was too late and I would have to break it apart and start over. Since I knew that if I did that I never would remake it, I decided to leave it as is. So, here it goes... It turned out a nice piece after all (I guess). :)

It was made out of MDF, EVA, plastic sheets and paper. I used a thick EVA for the top (that's what I had around) so the console got a bit taller than the usual. You can notice it easily at the hatched gutter between the keyboard and the branding area.

Living the dream...
albertusj

Re: Timex Sinclair 2048 replica!

Post by albertusj »

:o Nice work!
ZX80/ZX81/ZX Spectrum
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The phase, “good enough to eat” keeps popping into my mind.
Ooo, did I say that out loud :oops: :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Really impressive stuff!

How many hours effort did it take?
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA