ZX-Spectrum side measurements?

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
YanKleber

ZX-Spectrum side measurements?

Post by YanKleber »

Hey all!

Some of you already may know who I am - the crazy guy that made the TS-2068 replica (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3397).

So I have been here asking for help before about the 2068 and here I am again. :lol: This time I am going to try to build a ZX-Spectrum replica and regardless I thought that it would be way easy to find physical info about it, I was wrong. Anyway, since I couldn't find any straight side view picture of it I am not going to give a good guess of the side sizes.

Then I would like to know if some of you could be generous enough to give away a couple minutes of your time and take the measurements assigned in the picture below of your Spectrum?

I thank you very much in advance! :)

Living the dream...
1024MAK

Re: ZX-Spectrum side measurements?

Post by 1024MAK »

I’ll get me Rule...

I’ll be back in ....

And we’re back :mrgreen:

Results just in:

Rubber key

A=97mm approx. See note #1.
B=5mm approx. See note #1.
C=41mm approx. See note #1.
D=23mm. See note #2
E=30mm. See note #2
Width of front=233mm
Depth, front to back=144mm

Note #1 these are including the metal keyboard plate. The plastic moulding has been done so that the metal plate sits into the plastic.
Note #2 these don’t include the rubber feet or the moulding under the edge connector. The rubber feet raise the height by about 2mm.

Also, note that the front and rear edges are not flat, but taper inwards towards the top edges slightly.

If you want any photos, just shout.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
YanKleber

Re: ZX-Spectrum side measurements?

Post by YanKleber »

Ohhhhhh... thank you very much Mark! You have no idea how valuable these information are and I will try to make your efforts worth! :mrgreen:

This project is kind of intimidating. The Spectrum console is harder to make than the 2068 because that curvy part where the keyboard joins to the back. Well, hands on! Now I have no more excuses to NOT start a prototype. :P
Living the dream...