Timex Sinclair 2068 measurements (length x width)?

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
YanKleber

Timex Sinclair 2068 measurements (length x width)?

Post by YanKleber »

Hey all!

I am a Brazilian Sinclair enthusiast and since I grew up in the 1980s I for sure had some of those gems. One of my favorite computers of all times was a Timex Sinclair 2068 that I owned around 1984. Now, over 30 years later I am revisiting some old memories and then I am engaged on an odd project.

Since in Brasil is practically impossible to find one of those computers (I remember to have met only TWO other persons that had a TS-2068 by that time) I decided to build a replica of it from scratch. My idea is to power it with a Raspberry Pi so my main challenge at this time will be to replicate the console. I am not intending to do an industrial precision copy but I will try to do something the close I can using domestic and next corner store resources. I still have no idea where it will bring me!

Anyway, what I really need at this time is to found someone to provide me a simple thing: the length and the width of the console.

Could someone please?

Thanks!

:)
Living the dream...
dessony

Re: Timex Sinclair 2068 measurements (length x width)?

Post by dessony »

YanKleber,

TS2068's measurements are 37.5 cm x 19 cm x 3 cm at the front side with a rubber foot and 4 cm at the back side with a rubber foot.

I enjoy this computer. It still works since 1984!

I am an American myself and I decided to measure it (the computer) in the metric system instead of Ye Olde English system measurement because I recognized that the USA is an "island in the measurement system". :lol: :D

Cheers,

DesSony
YanKleber

Post by YanKleber »

dessony wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:54 pm YanKleber,

TS2068's measurements are 37.5 cm x 19 cm x 3 cm at the front side with a rubber foot and 4 cm at the back side with a rubber foot.

I enjoy this computer. It still works since 1984!

I am an American myself and I decided to measure it (the computer) in the metric system instead of Ye Olde English system measurement because I recognized that the USA is an "island in the measurement system". :lol: :D

Cheers,

DesSony
Cooooooool! Thank you for confirming the measurements for me DesSony!...

I was a bit anxious and I found a post of the Smithsonian museum with the measurements of the BOX. Then I found a picture of the boxed computer and after compare it with the box measures I ended with this: 38 x 18.8 x 2.7 - very close to the real thing.

Of course I will go with YOUR measurements! Thanks again!!!

:mrgreen:

PS: And thank you for the extra effort of converting it to the metric system!

:lol:
Living the dream...
YanKleber

Post by YanKleber »

I drew the whole top view of the TS-2068 entirely from scratch using Photoshop. Here it goes a lo-res version of the image!

Timex_sinclair_2068_mask_72.jpg

I didn't draw the "separation" between the cartridge cover and the keyboard because I am going to make it physically.

What I am going to do here is to build a "simplified" replica out of fine MDF (3 mm - around 1/8"). Basically I will make a box in the measurements of the real computer, then after to seal and sand it I will paint the box using a silver rattle can. Finally I will print the art I made (above) in high quality color laser printer and will apply parts of it (the keyboard, the stripped gutter and the logos over the proper places).

Yeah, it won't have a 3D keyboard and it will look like a "membrane" keyboard (just like the old TS-1000). Of course if you look closer you will see that it's a fake but the target is not to be an accurate replica, instead I want just something over my desk that resembles my old pal. In fact it will be just a case for the Raspberry Pi.

;)

IF the project works, I think to make a second version. For this second one my idea is to go to one of those shops that makes MDF laser cut service (damn, there was one of these here on my town but they quit the business!) and order them to cut out all the keys then I can make a way better replica. Who knows if I can even make a functional keyboard? Wouldn't it be really COOL?

Living the dream...
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

It will be a great knock-off. I wanted to make a similar case for a ZX81 and an enlarged membrane keyboard. It was around $1000 for minimum quantity of membranes from the suppliers I found.
5-TS1000,UK ZX81<-Sheelagh, US ZX81, 2-TS1500/KDLX , 3-TS2040 printer, 2-TS2020 cassette decks, ZXPAND+AY, ZeddyNET, ZXBlast, UDG, ZX8CCB, AERCO, BUILDS/REPAIRS ZX Spectrum, ZX80 Minstrel, ZXMAX48 v1 v2, 2-TS-2068, ROM, 16kRAM
YanKleber

Post by YanKleber »

In the last two days I worked some on the top side of the case and now I am starting the bottom side. I am building it in 3mm MDF and is getting cool. I am very excited with this project and am sure that it will fulfill my expectations! Very soon I will post some pictures! Cheers!

Living the dream...
dessony

Post by dessony »

YanKeber,

I used the metric side of a metal ruler to measure the TS2068 for you. The ruler also had its standard measurement system on its another side. I could turn around the ruler to read the standard measurement system. For curious people out there, 37.5 cm is 14 25/32 inches ; 19 cm is 7 1/2 inches ; 3 cm is 1 3/16 inches ; and 4 cm is 1 9/16 inches. I don't have to convert these numbers because I am using two metal rulers to find its metric equivalent! :lol:

Cheers,
DesSony
YanKleber

Post by YanKleber »

I would like to thank everyone that helped me. The project was finished a few months ago, and the result is here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3397

Living the dream...