Sinclair Zx Spectrum: absolutely better ...

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
1024MAK

Re: Sinclair Zx Spectrum: absolutely better ...

Post by 1024MAK »

As with most competing devices, each has its pros and cons. And which one is better very much depends on what you want to do with it.

Most owners of 1980s computers are biased (even if only a little bit, including myself) based on what they experienced or owned back in the 1980s.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

the author mentioned an issue with strings. care to clarify? why is it so hard to dimension 48000 characters if the C64 has 64K ram

they even listed another error:

Dim 15000(error)
whic perplexes me
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Crayon21 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:44 am the author mentioned an issue with strings. care to clarify? why is it so hard to dimension 48000 characters if the C64 has 64K ram

they even listed another error:

Dim 15000(error)
whic perplexes me
A random guess would suggest the memory map does not have 48000 available continuous bytes available but that is just a guess as I am not familiar with the C64 memory map.
If the Dim 15000 dims 15000 integers by default and they each use 4 bytes then that is 60000 bytes. Or if it is real numbers by default they could be 5 or more bytes each. Again just a guess! :D
ZX80
ZX81 iss 1 (bugged ROM, kludge fix, normal, rebuilt)
TS 1000 iss 3, ZXPand AY and +, ZX8-CCB, ZX-KDLX & ChromaSCART
Tatung 81 + Wespi
TS 1500 & 2000
Spectrum 16k (iss 1 s/n 862)
Spectrum 48ks plus a DIVMMC future and SPECTRA
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

My reason for switching from the crappodore to the Sinclair line is that,despite it's obvious place in history, i cannot stand all the pokes needed for sprites and graphics. Thus, i am devoting my time to the Spectrum and zx81. 1k RAM and a slow processor are better than needing DATA statements for every little thing. 6502 is...disorganized at best, Z80 is faster in areas and allows for more clock cycles. it's easier for me to memorize z80 opcodes then 6502 ones and much less stressful for my brain.

sorry for the long post :D
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted: