What's going on with WoS ?

A place to discuss the ZX80's and ZX81's younger brother - the Sinclair ZX Spectrum
RetroTechie

What's going on with WoS ?

Post by RetroTechie »

Hello guys,

Does anyone know what's going on with our sister site World of Spectrum :?:

Some days ago, its homepage loaded fine. But when trying to view the forums, there was an error message posted. Something about a crashed database, and attempt(s) to find a "definitive solution". This went on for a few days.

But a little while later, the entire site disappeared. I tried at different times, and used a few different browsers, but no cigar. Today I looked a bit closer at error messages, and did a name (DNS) lookup. Concluding that even the name lookup fails !?! :shock: Dunno what could be a 'usual' cause for that, but eg. may occur if someone failed to pay a domain name's registration fee. Even in the case of server unplugged or a long-lasting DoS attack, I'd think server might not respond but DNS lookups should still work...

Are you experiencing the same? Anyone got the ins & outs about what's going on? Or if/when WoS might be back online?

P.S. If there is indeed a problem with the domain registration, but WoS server is up & running at some IP address: please post that IP address!
1024MAK

Re: What's going on with WoS ?

Post by 1024MAK »

Lee Fogarty put this up on the Spectrum 4 Ever group on Facebook....
I don't think anyone has noticed, but WoS is down.

I've spent this week creating a new forum which, although a skeleton is almost complete with backed up data from the old forum.

This has mostly been put on hold today to test the archive on the new server, and is also mostly done - the big part will be uploading the archive files! This will also return as a skeleton site as different parts are tested and put live.

I am having to put skeletons up due to losing a weeks work to get things done. Hopefully the forums will be back early next week as soon as testing is complete.
Some more info here (where the above quote was taken from).

With the current loss of WoS, watch out for the FIGHT! over the alternative places to talk speccy...
The World Of Spectrum (Temporary) Forum
JetSet Willy and Manic Miner Community
comp.sys.sinclair
and that Facebook group....... (not that I like Facebook groups, it's hard to dip into and out of and not lose/miss posts :().

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The hard work is paying off :-)

Partial restoration of World of Spectrum has been achieved. The forums and some other sections are not yet functional.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

WoS forums are alive and kicking :D . Earlier in the year the whole WoS server went off line. All the data was saved and WoS is now on a new server. Because the site used a lot of custom code, getting the site fully functional is taking time.

The new forum has been on line for a while now. Log in details should have been retained. For me, my log in and password worked okay on the new forum. However if you are unlucky, You may need to reset your password.. There are still parts of the site that are being updated.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

World of Spectrum website is down again :(.

It was okay on Thursday. Yesterday (Friday), all day I got "Server not found" and the various web site check site also reported the site not responding.

So far today, it's still offline.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

It seems to be a DNS issue - unfortunately, since the new site went online, I have found that I no longer really use the forums - as I just do not find them as easy to use as the old ones.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

It may be a problem with the glibc security issue.
As far as I know it is easy to enter a foreign system with prepared DNS requests.
Not sure about it but possible.

PS: Looks like there is no DNS entry any more. This is strange, usually there should be a primary DNS service provided by the hoster. It seems that there is no IP address assigned any more. Unbelievable. :roll:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

WoS is back online :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!