ZX80 software

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
Papalapa

ZX80 software

Post by Papalapa »

Recenty I built the Wilco ZX80 clone and I was surprised because I didn't found software for it. In fact I only own 5 games but nothing else. With my ZX81 it was easy, even the Internet Archive is full of programs for this computer. Anyone knows where can I find the same for the ZX80?

Here's my baby: :D

IMG_2972-2.jpg
Paul

Re: ZX80 software

Post by Paul »

No equivalent but you should check out Paul Farrow's site
http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... fender.htm
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Papalapa

Post by Papalapa »

Thank you both ;)
stefano

Post by stefano »

The lack of software is easily explained, the ZX81 ROM could be put in a ZX80.
In fact it was designed to work also as a "retrofit", but obviously you couldn't take benefit of the SLOW feature.

Some of the existing ZX81 programs could then run on a ZX80, there were commercial program declaring they were "ZX80" compatible referring to such special configuration.
I perfectly understand that altering the ROM is not what you want to do :D
Papalapa

Post by Papalapa »

stefano wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:30 pm The lack of software is easily explained, the ZX81 ROM could be put in a ZX80.
In fact it was designed to work also as a "retrofit", but obviously you couldn't take benefit of the SLOW feature.

Some of the existing ZX81 programs could then run on a ZX80, there were commercial program declaring they were "ZX80" compatible referring to such special configuration.
I perfectly understand that altering the ROM is not what you want to do :D
Hi,

I'm aware of the "upgrade kit" for the ZX80, but I'm a retro-computer collector and already own an original ZX81. In fact, I built the Wilco2009 ZX80 clon and by just setting a jumper in the PCB the ZX80 can be converted into ZX81.

I found some software for the ZX80 but the main problem for me is the flicking. Even running flicker-free programs (Maze, Pacman, Kong) from Paul Farrow my screen is trembling all the time and makes impossible to see the image.

I'm not sure if this can be due to the TV monitor behaviour, I'll try to check another TV or monitor...
stefano

Post by stefano »

the ideal thing would be an old bw crt based tv set.
monitors or colour tv can be troublesome
the screen on the zx80 obviously flickers a lot, I could get a more stable input routine for z88dk (which I just discovered to be buggy in decoding some symbol) , but it still does bad things on a chip controlled tv or an lcd monitor. .
Paul

Post by Paul »

At which screen rate is your replica configured?
50Hz or 60Hz?
Flicker free software only works properly with 50Hz configured.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.