Midi 2 ZX81

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
GCHarder

Midi 2 ZX81

Post by GCHarder »

The Windows program "Midi2AY" can be used to convert a midi file into a
Spectrum .tap file. The file can then be LOADed into a 48K Spectrum with ZonX
card or Spectrum 128 to play the tune.

This .tap file can also be played on a ZonX equiped ZX81!

See the enclosed ReadMe for more info.

Regards;

Greg
Attachments
Demo.zip
Demo and source
(72.56 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Moggy

Re: Midi 2 ZX81

Post by Moggy »

I first tried this back when Charlie brought MIDI to the ZX81 back in 2017 and the problem with this Greg is that the MIDI file to be converted has to be so basic as to be useless and the end result sounds nothing like the original and luck plays a part in getting the right sounding MIDI file for conversion.

Drums cannot be converted and anything other than say a simple piano track is just a noisy mess, the MIDI file itself has to be downed an octave or so or it's just a high pitched squeak when converted.

I think the German lads already tried this on the forum some years ago as well as a WAV to AY jobby but the results were less than inspiring and seeing as the ZXpand already plays MIDI as well as AY I can't see much use for it also musical interest seems to be nil here, but having said all that and as you have gone to the trouble of doing this I will have another crack at it and report back and will post any meaningful conversions for others to use as I have about 2500 MIDI files on my ZXpand already. :D