Back in 1980 ZX80 software?

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
MarshMotoMan

Back in 1980 ZX80 software?

Post by MarshMotoMan »

Hi all, back in 1980 my first encounter with a home computer was a friends ZX80 running a stock market simulation. l recently managed to buy a ZX80 but having trouble finding software to type in for this machine, I am in the UK. Has anyone any ideas where my friend may have obtained this program from? Were there any magazines for this early micro in the UK?
Moggy

Re: Back in 1980 ZX80 software?

Post by Moggy »

Hi MarshMotoMan and welcome aboard.

Our brothers across the pond seemed to take more interest in the 80 than we did magazine wise so try this most excellent site which has all the copies I know of, of Sync magazine.

https://archive.org/details/syncmagazine

Most of the early volumes are dedicated quite well to the 80 and have some interesting type-ins.
As for the stock market program I wouldn't be surprised if you find it there.

Again welcome aboard and don't hesitate to ask questions as there are some very clever bods here and do join in if a topic takes your fancy. There is also a welcome area on the home page where you might want to introduce yourself.

Regards.

Moggy.

EDIT.

After some searching I found this, taken from here...

http://www.stefanopaganini.com/2017/04/ ... -magazine/

Is this what you are looking for?
Attachments
ZX-Interface-cover-v1-i5-2-high-stakes-768x576.jpg
MarshMotoMan

Re: Back in 1980 ZX80 software?

Post by MarshMotoMan »

Hi Moggy & thanks for the fast reply & info.
I actually had already spotted this program myself on the same website (it took me a little longer than you to find it!) I will give that program a go at some point as it looks very similar. I initially thought that my friend may have copied a type in, but now think he may have wrote the program himself? I remember he had his ZX80 set up in his garage & I was amazed so see a small B&W TV running a simulation of several stocks fluctuating in price over a time stamp. Sounds silly nowadays but at the time the most advanced TV game was pong! This began my interest in computers & as with a lot of people went out & purchased a ZX81 that I still own.
I have read that thousands of programs were written for the ZX80 so was a little surprised to find so little online. I love these early machines in a time when people thought anyone who owed a computer was a geek! How the times have changed with computers now everywhere.