Treasure hunt testers needed

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
Crayon21

Treasure hunt testers needed

Post by Crayon21 »

sorry if this is in the wrong area but i'm in a bit of a jam. I have completed the groundwork for a new game called treasure hunt. but I need the rest tested and if possible, debugged by someone with that type of knowledge. I cannot compensate for time, but I will be sure to give a shout out if that helps. For those of us that grew up with Adventure, I've put a little easter egg in the code for you. this does affect the ending however. here is the file. It is requires a 32k expansion...because this is only partway done, the rest is much longer. The majority of my games will be completely text, as I am not artistically inclined. PLOT and UNPLOT are used to add and remove sections of the map. after the boss is killed, you move from the caves into a city, die and descend into hell. The game is about greed and punishment.
Attachments
treasure hunt.tzx
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
rune

Re: Treasure hunt testers needed

Post by rune »

Hi Crayon

I get an error 5/44. Looks like you are printing beyond the last line. Its usually at the kill dragon bit (although it never says dragon, just enemies nearby - then what with you bare hands?).

I can get there if I try to play the game sensibly, or just enter random commands. Always the same sequence.

Dave
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

noted, what else? I could try an if then loop but I can't seem to see how it would work, seeing as I need the computer to account for each action per section...I'm looking at at least 15 inkey$ areas per input

drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

decided to start from scrath. on starting you are asked for the amount of ram in memory. 4k or lower starts you on line 350. Higher ram (32k and up) starts you on line 200. both sections are separate, so I may have to make one version for the 4k-16k zx81 and one for the 32k zx81. will release a demo soon

habanero slices
Dim_75

Post by Dim_75 »

Hello Crayon ;) ,
is your file the full one ?
I only see 41 lines in the listing and many variables used have not been defined (CHANCE, BIG MOMMA...) so you will have some ERROR 2.
Also you use the PLOT command with low coordinates so when you use a simple PRINT command after that, it will print AFTER the PLOT coordinates and, a view PRINT commands later, you will reach the bottom of the screen....... and ....oups ERROR 5.
May be a simple "PRINT AT xx,xx" will do the trick to begin.

There are other points to look after but take a look at those already.

Another question, have you write on a paper the 'story' of your program, as making a list of the variables you will use, make a decision tree for example ? In my opinion (that's the way i use to do), it helps a lot to write an error's free program.

Keep working on it :)
Dim_75

Post by Dim_75 »

If needed take a look again at this post https://www.sinclairzxworld.com/viewtop ... 0&start=10.

If you are more 'visual' here is the classic 'screen map' of the ZX81 with coordinates using PRINT (beginning UPleft) and those using PLOT (beginning BOTTOM left)
Affichage ZX81.jpg
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

very helpful indeed. The story goes that a kingdom lost it's treasure to a sadistic dragon that uses Monty Python sketches as a weapon. every knight that goes to kill it comes back screaming about the damned Coconuts. Why are you not affected? why earplugs of course.
40 knights went in, 4 came out with the rest requiring joke therapy. yes I just went there.

for reference

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... &FORM=VIRE

habanero slices