Mazogs Easter Egg

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
Fruitcake

Mazogs Easter Egg

Post by Fruitcake »

Load Mazogs, press SPACE to break into it, then enter the following:

Code: Select all

RAND USR 18740
The routine is never accessed by the game.
Fwapp

Re: Mazogs Easter Egg

Post by Fwapp »

Interesting! My first thought is that it might have referenced by the "fight" animation.
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

You can find a commented disassembly of the routine, along with the rest of the game, here:
http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... Mazogs.htm
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

Amazing.. (having full disassembly, that is). 18740 = L4934.
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

I've released a revision to the commented disassembly to correct a number of inaccuracies. It can be downloaded using the link on the original posting.
blittled

Post by blittled »

Fruitcake many thanks for disassembling the code! it is AWESOME! :D I've always wanted to disassemble it but never had the time. A couple of years back Baggers gave me his code to make a ZX81 video driver for the Propeller chip and I started a Propeller version of Mazogs but got stuck on the maze generation. Now after I study this code I'll have to get back to that project.

I also had ideas on how to add some features to make a Mazogs II that I may try on the original ZX81.
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

blittled wrote:I also had ideas on how to add some features to make a Mazogs II that I may try on the original ZX81.
It would be great to see a sequel to the game. :)

By the way, a version of Mazogs now exists for the ZX80. Full details are on this posting:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2124
blittled

Post by blittled »

Right now I'm getting Mazogs ported to FASM-ZX and change all the calls, peeks and pokes in Basic linked to assembly so I can modify the assembly without needing editing those lines in Basic. I found Mazogs uses nearly all the 16K ram available so I'm also removing the REM remnants and unused code to make more room.

If memory permits these are the features I want to add.
1. Smarter Mazogs - They will also attack from above and below as well as left and right. Also I want to look into seeing if Mazogs trying to get to your location is possible rather than random movement.
2. Fix it so multiple Mazogs cannot start at the same location.
3. Warp Traps - Unseen traps that only work once. If you step on them you get transported to a random open spot in the maze.
4. A display of how many moves you have left
5. Smarter placement of swords and prisoners - All of them are reachable from paths
6. User choice of 0-40 Mazogs, Prisoners, Swords and Warp Traps
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
Fruitcake

Post by Fruitcake »

A version of Mazogs now exists for the 48K Spectrum. Full details are on this posting:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2124#p21801