ZX81 Sofware Repository

Discussion about ZX80 / ZX81 Software
GCHarder

ZX81 Sofware Repository

Post by GCHarder »

Here's a nice software repository site, nicely organized too, not just games, "The Internet Archive Software Collection > TOSEC: The Old School Emulation Center > TOSEC: Sinclair ZX81 (2012-04-23)"

https://archive.org/details/Sinclair_ZX ... 2012_04_23

Click on the link for downloadable zip files.

Regards;

Greg
swensont

Re: ZX81 Sofware Repository

Post by swensont »

Over 1400 titles? That's going to take a while to go through. I'm finding more and more in the Internet Archive. They also have archived copies of Your Computer, ZX Monthy, Sinclair User, Sync, and other early 80's computer magazines. I was going to scan my copies of Sync, but they are all there on the Internet Archive. They don't have any Timex/Sinclair User, so I can scan those and see about getting those archived.

Tim Swenson
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

That would be really kind of you!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Already mentioned..

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1112&p=11622&hilit=tosec#p11622

Also a frowned upon site , by some , especially in the spectrum community as it happily provides titles with denied distribution by the original authors hence My deletion of original post when this was pointed out to Me.

Some of Their thoughts here...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/s ... ight=tosec

Not that I'm the least bit picky about using thirty year old software/abandon ware etc and I'm certainly not making judgements about others but when still living authors state they would prefer their Intellectual Property to remain denied , even if for reasons understood only by themselves, I then try to avoid warez sites like this that just zip up a big bag of software titles , in some cases denied, for download without any accreditation to the authors other than an initial and surname in the title ,who could be anyone, nor provide any of the original art work/inlays and instructions.

Also If I'm not mistaken Rich takes a dim view of uncredited/unauthorised and denied works being published on His site so links to sites that publish said works could also be a no-no, apologies Rich if I'm wrong about this.

@Tim
I'm told a lot of the software titles are duplicated quite a few times in formats other than P files so not really as big an archive to sort through as it looks plus all the magazines You could ever want (including Sync Timex/Sinclair user) are stored on the WoS site who to the best of My knowledge get clearance whenever possible .

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/magazines/

Just My two cents for what it's worth nothing more.

Moggy.
GCHarder

Post by GCHarder »

Well, I certainly didn't want to open a can of worms. I was unaware of the controversy regarding this site.
The powers that be can delete the thread, or can I delete a post myself?

Sorry

Regards;

Greg
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi Greg.

No apologies needed on this gang of rogues forum especially not from someone like Yourself who has made some excellent contributions since signing up (loved the Lindenmayer Systems thing) :D :D

Occasionally after a few single malts I tend to get on My soap box and let the key board get away with Me a little :oops:

So ignore Me Greg (every one else does) :lol: and carry on making your much valued contributions.

Must dash My glass is empty :D

Regards.

Moggy.
swensont

Post by swensont »

Moggy,

"it looks plus all the magazines You could ever want (including Sync Timex/Sinclair user) are stored on the WoS site"

It looks that way, but by looking into the directories, they are short on issues of the magazines. I have found the Internet Archive useful in many other areas, esp. census forms, older books, etc. Given their size and scope of what they do, I can see them being a little slow on removing individual items from their archive. They do have a process for removing items if they are contacted.

Tim
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi Tim.

If they will remove stuff then that's great to hear.
Just ignore Me like I said in My last post I tend to go on a rant every so often :D :oops:

Regards.

Moggy.
GCHarder

Post by GCHarder »

My magazine wishlist is for Synceware News, all mine got stolen years age. I did scan the pages which had my stuff on them, wish I'd scanned the whole thing now. WoS has a listing but only the covers.

Regards;

Greg