What happened to the front page?

General Chit Chat about Sinclair Computers and their Clones
RetroTechie

What happened to the front page?

Post by RetroTechie »

Hit this site's home page, on the left "About ZX80/ZX81", on the right "Forum".

I understand that some 'accidental' visitors won't know what a ZX80 or ZX81 is, but I think that blunt choice is too prominent (and with that, a little annoying, to be honest). Like those "this site uses cookies, click here for details" bars that pop up on NL sites lately (and perhaps other sites in the EU). :evil:

Most users of this site will be here for the forum & know where they're going. A link for "About the ZX80/ZX81" is a good idea IMO, but it should be out of the way of regular users (aka "optimize for the common case"). For example the forum index (or perhaps news / latest posts / most active topics) on the home page, and a link "wtf iz diz?" in a corner, or somewhere on the bottom of the page.
sirmorris

Re: What happened to the front page?

Post by sirmorris »

Yes, I was wondering about this... I think I'd be annoyed if I had to go through this each time.

C
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

You can always bookmark the index page... (front page, what front page, I hardly ever see any forum front / home page on my own computer 'cus I just open a group of bookmarks, many of which take me to the "View active topics" page of each forum...) :mrgreen:
The main time I see a default / home / front page is when I am using other computers.

I suspect the "front page" is a work in progress...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Indeed the front page is a work in progress - but the site is intended to be more than just a forum - so we have to have a means of accessing the rest of the information.

I am open to ideas and designs if anyone wants to propose something....

World of Spectrum also has a front page, but I wonder how many people ever see that (!)

If you want to go directly to the forums - use www.sinclairzxworld.com/index.php
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

How about a more unobtrusive link under the banner - I am not sure people will spot this however...

I wanted to add links to a page about hardware and software too, and maybe a links page ?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

For anyone who is new, or thinking of returning to the Zeddy, they will most likely be unaware of the excellent hardware and software developments of recent years.
So maybe a random picture of one item of hardware with the text "Click for more information on the exciting new name of product". Underneath this, a link to hardware.

Same for the software.
The links take you to to the appropriate page...

And don't forget the music. A link to a page for this, where the user can hear some mp3 files...

With this page we are trying to "sell" the machines to get people interested in using them (again).

Oh, and what about either a page on the common and simple repairs (e.g. keyboard membrane, power/ear/mic socket problems, dirty edge connector, "RAM pack" wobble etc.)

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

If someone wants to contribute some suggested content, please feel free to email it to me.

I had not thought about a section on music - of course, that would be a good idea.
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

Good point about WoS - usually I go through the front page on there, and the extra click never bothered me. Perhaps because WoS often loads very quick, perhaps because I sometimes check "what's new?" or follow some other links on the main page. So maybe I was mistaken in my 1st post... :?

'All that other stuff' (documentation / links / about etc) is a lot less for the ZX81 as compared to the Spectrum which is a very large and diverse ecosystem in comparison. But still it's a valid reason to want to have such things on a site, even if a forum there is the main focus. Let me make a suggestion on a site layout:

Have a look at Slashdot for general layout in terms of width/height etc of various areas on the main page. Now where /. has the main news stories, imagine the forum index. On the left ("ask Slashdot", "book reviews", "games" etc), imagine a few buttons for things like: about ZX80 / ZX81, news, hardware projects, links to other ZX81 / Sinclair (?) sites, contact / site feedback, ....

Nothing much on top, so you don't have to scroll half a page to see the first forum subjects. :evil: Something like the banner you have now is fine / enough. No big button bar or anything like that on top area of the page (like I said, ZX80/ZX81 universe isn't that big). On the right, hmm... maybe no need for separate area there (just forum index), or perhaps a few odd bits like 1 or 2 news items as directly clickable pictures, a few eBay auctions, a PayPal donate button or other worthless crap like that :lol: which isn't that interesting for most visitors but might just attract the attention of some.

I'd almost feel like doing a mockup of sorts, but website design just isn't my cup of tea. And I'm rather busy with other things right now. But maybe the above is a good starting point?